The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The worst of wasteful government spending > Comments

The worst of wasteful government spending : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 2/8/2018

It is also common for politicians to arrange a 'work' meeting as a pretext for a holiday, social or campaigning event so that the taxpayer bears what should be a private travel cost.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Yep and we still keep voting them in........
The GIGO rule in spades.
Posted by ateday, Thursday, 2 August 2018 10:35:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And, Australia is virtually defenceless: only 19 days of fuel in store; dud submarines unavailable for decades yet; ditto with the F35, and a command more interested in diversity and gender reassignment than killing the enemy.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 2 August 2018 10:59:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A patent political propaganda piece, in my view!

The conservatives in the room will always see most social welfare a wasteful spending!

And climate change as crap? Even as we have just gone through a July, the hottest on record in places here in OZ!

But not ever against much more expensive pork barrelled entitlements and legislated tax loopholes that allows some of our biggest guest enterprises to pay no tax? About quarter of our corporate Australia? Arguably because they also receive some supposed benefits?

And waste even more by providing income support (Polly's job start) for a long since redundant middle tier of government and the replication that, that then imposes on a limited budget!

Smaller government and reduced government spending has always been the goal of true liberals. Except where it involves less of them with their overfed snouts in the taxpayer-funded money trough.

One thing we can agree on Brendan is the absolute pragmatism of buying a few Nuclear powered nuclear capable subs from the shelf. And because this option would likely cost less over the forward estimates? But far more importantly, put fewer Aussie service lives in harm's way!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 2 August 2018 12:14:06 PM
We used to own a number of income earning, public facilities and amenity. All of which contributed their profit streams to the budget bottom line, business growth and confidence?

Given they allowed the nation-state to retain some control over the cost of both capital and energy And fund most of social welfare?

But sold like anything not nailed down by the coalition at the over-represented conservatives pulling the leader's strings?

Were I in Malcolm Turnbull's inevitable position, having to reject his own core values just to appease the idiots in the cabinet room, I would offer to stand down and resign from both parliament and my seat.

Which I would recontest as an independent at both the by-election and subsequent general election!

Before I would compromise my own inherent Christian values/core beliefs!

Leaving me free to cross the floor at will! While Tomato head and fellow travellers turned pink and pale purple or some combination of all the above as they realised they'd signed their party's death warrant?

And see how well they faired mit monsieur Korman at the helm? Or Commandant Dutton?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 2 August 2018 12:36:25 PM
Only in the final case do I agree with Brendan. Of the other seven:
1. The really big waste of government money was signing the contract to build the tunnel in the first place, for the specifications were way over what was needed. A lower capacity tunnel at around half the cost would have been a far better solution.

2. Water security was needed - it would have been grossly irresponsible to risk our cities running out of water. And now we have the desalination plants available for when we need them.

However, the Federal funding decision to build the Adelaide desalination plant to full capacity from day 1 (rather than half capacity and upgradable as the state government originally intended) was a bad one.

3. As nuclear submarines are unsuitable for shallow water, I think diesel subs were the better choice. But it's something none of us can know for sure because their main purpose is espionage and therefore it can never be made public.

And self reliance is far more important for defence than for other purposes.

4. Expensive electricity is certainly a problem, but it's not because of systematic destruction nor high baseload costs. Inefficient cross subsidies are part of the problem, but there are two much bigger problems: firstly the industry doesn't have access to cheap finance, and secondly the market simply doesn't operate efficiently.

But we must shun coal. We're currently the worlds second highest emitter per capita despite the fact that we're a very sunny country.

5. FTTN was a terrible waste of government money, and they paid far too much for the coaxial cables as many were in poor condition. But the part of the NBN that was built as originally envisaged is good nation-building infrastructure. As for 5G providing stiff competition, they said that about 4G: initially it seemed to, but as more people used it, it slowed right down.

An evental selloff would also be a big mistake.

(TBC)
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 2 August 2018 1:41:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brendan O'Reilly, who used to preside over the state's shambolic disability department, thinks that the NDIS is a waste of government money. His public servants used to barricade themselves behind locked doors to prevent traumatized and exhausted families with no help at all from leaving their severely disabled children at the door. He saw first hand the desperate need and he thinks the NDIS is a political stunt.Is it memory loss, I wonder?
Posted by estelles, Thursday, 2 August 2018 1:56:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy