The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Christian origin of Australian financial institutions > Comments

Christian origin of Australian financial institutions : Comments

By Michael Jensen, published 12/6/2018

The bank was to be a bulwark against exploitation and corruption, for the common good.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It's a huge stretch linking Christianity with banking. Somebody in the past might have tried to link the two - for their own purposes, in days when Christianity was respected - but now, when Christianity is as popular as bleeding haemorrhoids with the chattering class, the two really shouldn't be mentioned together unless, of course you want to 'do Christianity down’; and it appears that that is exactly what some church bureaucrats are trying to do in an attempt to stay relevant. Trying to adapt Christianity to the modern world is doomed. It's up to individuals to adapt to Christianity - or not. The organised church as it is today is a dud.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 12 June 2018 9:52:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Longest bow since Agincourt I think Reverend.

In colonial days the overwhelming majority of Australians were Christians, so it comes as no surprise that their bankers shared the same religion. Attributing some causality between this historic fact and the (asserted, but unsubstantiated) good conduct of these financial pioneers is nothing more than the logical fallacy of post ergo procter hoc. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause

What we need to get some trust back into Australia's financial sector is for a few bankers who engage in criminal conduct to be dragged out of their houses in handcuffs by the police. If I go around the neighbourhood breaking into houses and stealing televisions that's exactly what will happen to me. White collar thieves deserve nothing less.
Posted by JBSH, Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:05:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Royal Commission really uncovered little. A few cases where the banks acted despicably while many trying to make a quick buck are now screaming that they lost their money. No bank has ever came and twisted my arm forcing me to take out loans I can pay let alone ones I can't. Yep the Banking Royal Commission shows how corruptible man is and even much more so since we adopted totally immoral secular dogmas. Victimhood is entrenched in almost all parts of our society. No wonder Labour is ahead in the polls.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:24:41 AM
There are still Christian financial institutions in Australia, such as lll.org.au
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 12 June 2018 10:53:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Progressive conservatives, i.e., Christians did a lot of good things for their fellow man and the common good.

And by following the do unto others golden rule that has it seems dominated all civilised behaviour and belief systems!

Before being progressively dismantled and dismembered by the ultra-conservative element. Who invented individualism and the greed is good philosophy that divides and rules once truly cohesive Christian societies.

Who it seems were more like the Amish at a barn-raising in their cooperative effort. And as a collective ushered in the abolition of slavery and child labour. Just to name a couple.

Christian decency created organizations like the AMP, and the servants of Mannon/Satan have progressively weaponised it against the common good.

Simply put, conservatism and Christianity are mutually incompatible ideologies. With the former inherently evil? Or if you will, by their fruits you shall know them!

One of which surely must be their addiction to coal and the worldwide planet harm and destruction it is causing!

Not for nothing does the Christian bible state, there are none so blind as those WHO WILL NOT SEE!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 12 June 2018 12:23:45 PM
Trust depends on choice - if you have the option to use a service or not, then you wouldn't use it unless you trust the providers.

But using banks is no longer an option: government creates inflation which means that if you just keep the money in your safe then you lose it. It also makes it harder to use cash, now it even wants to prohibit transactions over $10,000. In other words, it pushes the banks down our throats.

In this situation, banks understand that customers are their hostages - and treat them accordingly: Christians are not immune to temptations.

Rather than hiding behind commercial banks to achieve its goals, government might just as well compete with them directly, allowing customers to receive standard banking services directly through its central bank.

But government probably don't want this because it would expose all that hidden unemployment, where so many workers in the financial sector, banks included, would become redundant but for the government ever complicating the financial scene to require more and more unproductive paper-shufflers.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 12 June 2018 1:39:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy