The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Corporal punishment is not all bad > Comments

Corporal punishment is not all bad : Comments

By Barry Maley, published 15/2/2001

Barry Maley argues that the balance of evidence shows that corporal punishment can be a useful tool for teaching children discipline and social behaviour

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
RE; CORPPRAL PUNISHMENT

I'm a stepfather to a twelve year old boy. I believe in CP, though many parents and schools abuse children - often it's legal, especially in many US schools. I am of course relatig to a classroom beating, where the entire class are struck. Dylan, my stepson doesn't attend such a US school, they are very fair, only administering CP to students who have commited an offence. He was recently caught bullying a lad in his class. He received 6 of the best infront of the entire school. I was angry as I believe it's wrong for other students to have to witness it. When he arrived home he was caned by myself for the offence. It was most severe, with more than 35 strikes hitting his buttocks. He may have suffered but at least he had done wrong. You only have to hit an innocent child once and it's abuse. I say all countries should abolish such practices
Posted by KEITH DANIELS, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 12:24:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I attended a strict but fair Christian school, wheer corporal punishment was only administered for serious offences. When I was 13, I was caught masterbatng in class. After my lession my teacher explained what he had seen and that I would be caned.

I was even more scared what my Dad and churh pastor would do. I can remember the Pastor caning a teenage lad for kissing his girlfriend passionately.

I was made to lean over the Head's desk with my pance down.
The last time I was caned I was ten years old. A junior cane wasn't as painful, though it still hurt a lot. I was expecting no more tahn 12 but I was wrong. It was more than 20. Afterwards I looked in the mirror and was shocked to see a two dozen cuts. There was even blood dripping from my buttocks.

Once I arrived home, my Dad gave me a few hours before canng me.
My Dad decided to use a junior cane imstead. I received a further 12 heavy blows to my buttocks.

6 days later, at church my Mum took me into the Pastor's office.
Having seen my buttocks he told me to report to him in three weeks time.

When the day came, I was shaking. My buttocks were still sore so even a light blow would hurt like made but this was to be a severe caning.

I was made to lean over a chair as he caned my buttocks, administering 40 heavy blows. I don't know what type of caned was used but it wasn't a junior or senior one. It was even more painful.
He was a master at caning. He knew how to administer a good caning.

Looking back I think it was harsh, maybe abuse.
If my stepson Adam who's twelve was to commit a sexual sin he would be caned but not as severely. His a Christian just like me and knnows sexual sins are wrong so yes he woould be caned.
Posted by KEITH DANIELS, Tuesday, 7 February 2006 1:08:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My first day at secondary school here in Australia was the worse day ever – literally. I soon realised I had forgotten my PE kit despite my Mum reminding me several times that day. I guess I was lucky not to be paddled or caned by my teacher or the Head Master. I had no excuse, it was my own stupid fault.

A few days later my parents received a letter from the school informing them of the offence. When I arrived home from school that day, my Mum ushered me into my Dad’s office. Without being told I dropped my pance and leaned over his desk with my arms reaching the other end. I then had a terrible thought. I was now in secondary school, it was unlikely that Dad would use a senior cane instead of a slipper . To my relieve he didn’t. I got 20 blows with a slipper. My 6 year old brother was brought in afterwards.He got the slipper for swearing at a neighbour. He got 15 blows
Posted by Datherd, Wednesday, 8 February 2006 10:34:19 AM
My eleven-year old stepson is a smashing kid but most recently I had to administer corporal punishment, it was the first time he had ever been spanked. Despite being grounded his sister had sneaked out during the night to see her boyfriend. Adam knew where she was but he didn’t want to grass.

A few minutes later she returned home drunk. After sitting Adam down I explained that he was to be caned. He was in tears. I then administered 5 heavy whacks to both hands and three to his buttocks. Afterwards I told him I loved him and gave him a hug. A little over an hour later I came into his bedroom and told him I loved him.
In the morning I told him I loved him again. He smiled and said he was sorry.

My Dad would have severely caned me or taken his belt to me. He wouldn’t have told me he loved me or hugged me. I knew he loved me but it’s important to tell your children after administering corporal punishment. They need to know it wasn’t
done out of anger
Posted by JESSIETRAVIS, Thursday, 9 February 2006 9:31:01 AM
I was really nervous about parents evening. I knew if the reports from my teachers were bad I would be slippered by the Head and then caned at home. But they were
great though there was one problem; my schools fees were in arrears and I was to be caned if they weren’t paid within seven days. Three days later the cheque was in the post. But when I arrived at school four days later I was informed by my teacher
that the cheque wasn’t cleared and I had to report to the Head for caning.

He warned it was to be severe and it would last for five minutes.
I was posited over his desk with my arms reaching the other end.
The first whack didn’t seem too heavy at first but then after around 10 seconds it
really stung. By the 4th blow I was in tears. I could see the clock in front of me,
I had been caned for just over three minutes. I knew I had a lot more to come.
I was right. After the 11th whack I had to wait ages for the final one which was
even more severe than the others
Posted by stevent, Sunday, 12 February 2006 1:06:32 PM
What happened to me [see above article] was abuse, I didn’t deserve to be severely caned by the Head- what am I saying, I shouldn’t have received corporal punishment at all that day.

The only time it was ever warranted at school was a year later aged 14, when
I was caught having sex whilst on my diner break. I got 36 whacks which were
administered by the girl’s father. When I got home my stepfather administered
a further to my buttocks. It was almost a moth later until my buttocks healed.
Posted by stevent, Sunday, 12 February 2006 1:23:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy