The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Driverless cars: will public transport be a winner? > Comments

Driverless cars: will public transport be a winner? : Comments

By Alan Davies, published 20/3/2018

The prospect of autonomous vehicles causes worry but they might provide public and shared modes of transport with a big boost in competitiveness relative to private vehicles.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Driverless cars can only improve, even so they still only have four wheels making about one handprint each on the road and require so many metres to stop. And can't be proramed to react to other folk stupidity.

But they and their sensing mechanism have their limitations and still need an alert and aware human at thhe helm. Need a few more trials and wide angle sensor upgrades! To ensure there are no more tradgeties.

It's not like they like some human drivers who take lives, can plead deminished capability. I've heard they have better night visin than a cat?

And in normal apples for apples comparisons, far better response time than most if not all humans? That said, current limitations and deision making, makes them more suitable on the main highways! As they require very definaive and visible lane markings!

Me? I'd have one tomorrow, given my advancing years!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 20 March 2018 5:18:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
first death by driverless car reported yesterday

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/19/uber-self-driving-car-kills-woman-arizona-tempe

who can the family sue?
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 20 March 2018 5:23:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner,

Unfortunately not the first,

"THE first person has been killed by their driverless car. Super bad news. Not just for the family but for the cause of driverless cars in general.

An American man was using the Tesla Autopilot feature on a highway in Florida when his car failed to see a white truck crossing the highway against a sky described as “brightly lit”. The car did not react and ploughed under the truck, tearing the roof of the car. The car spun across the road and the man — Joshua Brown, 40 — died at the scene."

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/the-first-tesla-driverless-death-has-happened-another-one-could-stop-driverless-cars-in-their-tracks/news-story/0ccb24206dc934fbad29ffb8809f0739

and there will be more.

The Greens will probably take up the cause of driverless cars just as they are embracing the electric ones.
Posted by Is Mise, Tuesday, 20 March 2018 8:49:21 PM
You can see the shadow of 1984 in this piece, & the push to driverless cars.

They have to engineer a way of getting us out of our private car ownership, to be able to stack us into little high rise flats, with no space for parking. The elites are horrified at the comfort a luxury we have acquired, & want us back to peasantry.

You can see it in Alan's slip up in admitting the desire to increase the density, & try to drive us onto public transport.

Obviously only interested in office workers, bureaucrats & shop assistants, who travel to city centres, the only destination where any form of public transport can work in Oz. He even let slip a desire to take our roads, the ones we have paid for a dozen times over with fuel excise & taxes, to give them to public transport.

This bloke is our enemy big time. Nothing from him, or likely to come from him or his kind, will ever be for our benefit. He is an instrument of the elites to help put us back in our place. We must resist him & his masters most strenuously if we are to avoid the horror of 1984 coming to a population near you.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 21 March 2018 11:07:44 PM
Actually Hasbeen, Alan Davies is a tool of the elites !
He gets paid to dream up such ideas.
I think driverless cars could end up by being banned by the insurance companies.
They could end up in interminable legal cases trying to determine liability.
Arguments between car manufacturers, programming companies, road
infrastructure governments/owners, car owners, anyone in the car, the owner of the other car,
and all of them denying liability.
It is bad enough as it is now without introducing a number of third and fourth parties.
I saw the video of the latest accident, & can it be described as an accident ?
Was it in fact built into the software ?
The lady just appeared out of the darkness as a bicycle side on with
the lady behind it partly obscured by the bicycle.
Had the car been programmed for that image.
You can see the legal arguments coming out of that.
Volvo had to bring their programmers and cars back to Australia to
program for kangaroos as they move differently to other animals.
Perhaps they need a man with a red flag out in front.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 22 March 2018 3:21:35 PM
Bazz, as one who has made a life/career in the design and manufacture of cars and the like, I feel you are on the money. I am annoyed every time some moronic polly or expert comes out pushing the public transport mantra. I want to tell them to shut up and stop talking crap. As Bazz pointed out, we don't all live on a bus or train route. We don't all work on one either. When we are at work we don't all sit around in one location all day. The 'real' workers move around as required of them every day. In this country, NOTHING is nearby or easily accessed. We NEED a means of efficient, independent mobility, such as the motorcar. I for one, being in the industry, forecast many years ago, when I heard of these self driving cars, that they were not the answer. The car industry has been naively and stupidly promoting safer cars for more stupid people. I, on the other hand, have been promoting the education of drivers so as to take control and responsibility for their driving. The only place robotic vehicles are of any use is in a closed environment, with no variables. All the things we are seeing going wrong with driver-less cars today, I predicted decades ago. What I also predicted and promoted is the 'flying' car. Now finally it has reached the development stage. Now THAT's the future. Not trying to make the car take up the short falls of stupid humans. Those posers who end up buying a 'self drive', may not live to regret it. Just memorise the shock on the face of the 'driver' in the video of the latest fatality. Public transport? Pe-lease, for those of you who like public transport so much, you use it. I hope I live long enough to own a flying car. Can't wait!
Posted by ALTRAV, Friday, 23 March 2018 4:07:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy