The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Followers or thinkers? > Comments

Followers or thinkers? : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 14/3/2018

But isn’t Australia battling to choose between freedom of religion, and freedom from religion? Holy Guacamole! Just what in heaven’s name do you believe in?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I hope the 'panel' isn't costing us too much; just another quango for a wealthy, retired politician and a bunch of anonymous snouts-in-troughs. It will just be another report to shelve and forget about. I just hope that they can spell 'ageing', and don't sneer at religion because it's “ancient”. And, what the hell is 'disturbing' about a culture having a “ a high measure of belief in some form of deity”?

This person needs to get out more. His understanding and intelligence are very limited.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 14 March 2018 10:31:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ian - could you please define what makes a particular action morally "right" in your understanding?
Posted by JP, Wednesday, 14 March 2018 10:42:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
These atheist are certainly irrational. They have the audacity to speak in absolutes while denying the existence of them. This author seems to be an irrational thinker from the something from nothing brigade.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 14 March 2018 11:36:06 PM
//They have the audacity to speak in absolutes while denying the existence of them.//

Atheists don't disbelieve in absolutes, runner.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 15 March 2018 4:10:25 AM
In reply to JP's question about what action I consider to be morally right, I believe that it revolves around treating another in the same way that I would like to be. To live is to act, and our actions can have either harmful or beneficial consequences for ourselves and others. Buddhist ethics is concerned with the principles and practices that help one to act in ways that help rather than harm. These practices are guided by precepts. These are not rules or commandments, but principles of training, which are undertaken freely and put into practice with intelligence and sensitivity. There are a number of precepts which apply to a wide range of actions, the most observed ones being the advice not to kill, not to steal, not to engage in improper sexual conduct , not to make false statements, and not to consume intoxicants. There is the matter of what is moral when related to activities. I consider that an action’s being moral relates to the principles of correct conduct, or the distinction between right and wrong. I hope that this reply helps an appreciation that the results of all thoughts, speech, and actions are shaped by the codes of rightful behaviour proclaimed by many religions which could include Christianity’s ‘Golden Rule’ of doing unto others as you would have them do unto you’ Regards, Ian
Posted by Ponder, Thursday, 15 March 2018 8:28:35 AM
Thank-you for replying Ian.

In your article you say that each of us has a personal responsibility to decide for ourselves what is ethical and moral. If that is so, what do you say to any one, let’s say another atheist, who has a different opinion to you as to what is the right or wrong thing to do in a particular instance? If everyone just has to decide for themselves then it seems that their opinion is just as “right” as yours even though it may advocate the opposite course of action.

For example, someone may decide that, for some reason, that it would be right for them to end your life. Would you accept that or would you say that they are wrong and shouldn’t kill you? Who is “right”, the other person or you? Why would that be so?

You identify as a Buddhist and so I expect you seek to follow the Buddhist precepts. But these precepts have just been made up by other people in the past, given that there are no deities. Why do you follow the ideas of these people? - especially as you say that everyone has the responsibility to make up our own moral beliefs. Do you think the Buddhist morals are somehow “right”? But what makes them any more “right” than someone else who advocates the complete opposite?
Posted by JP, Thursday, 15 March 2018 11:34:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy