The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The #MeToo phenomenon and what, if anything, anyone can do about it > Comments

The #MeToo phenomenon and what, if anything, anyone can do about it : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 13/3/2018

Ordinarily, a person accused of some crime is presumed innocent until found otherwise by a duly constituted court. That has not been the case in any of the examples I have read.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It's a bit of a yawn really. Lots of yap and and unsubstantiated claims, often anonymous, and no prosecutions. The media really needs to get scandalised by something else - or return to its only area of relevance - news and weather.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 9:43:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Ordinarily, a person accused of some crime is presumed innocent until found otherwise by a duly constituted court. That has not been the case in any of the examples I have read. Indeed, as I wrote above, nothing has yet come to court, to the best of my knowledge."
You've missed the point of the #MeToo movement. It's not about bringing criminals to justice; it's about changing the culture so the perpetrators no longer think it's OK.

And AIUI the 'trial by media', in the Australian cases at least, is the result of overzealous media, sensationalising accusations where the complainants sought neither publicity nor legal retribution.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 10:21:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This 'Movement' is not so much about the accusations it's all to do with growing 'Identity Politics' which continues to accelerate within western cultures.

Minority identifying groups have driven a ground swell of issues, which in the main would normally have remained on the fringes. Unfortunately now politics has risen to their challenges and bought into their ideals. This at the expense of more prudent policy politics.

SSM, LGBTI++, #Metoo, black lives matter etc, etc. These and other identity politics are going to further erode western culture, sad but a true reflection of where we are going. Silly and irrational if you ask me.
Posted by Galen, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 12:06:12 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
None of this stuff would ever get wings if sensible people (still the majority I believe) simple ignored it.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 12:12:38 PM
feel sad for the many women raped and abused. Also feel sickened by women who play the game to get to the top and then blame others for their lose morals. Hollywood has no right to preach anything. They have the same morals as the paedophile priests. The culture that needs changing is the blame everyone but myself culture.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 2:17:36 PM
The ABC has just put out the news an 'investigation' has upheld sexual harassment complaints against ex Melbourne mayor, Robert Doyle.

"The investigation was NOT a judicial process and set a standard LOWER than the criminal standard of being proven guilty BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT", which pretty much backs the opinions that the process is shonky.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 13 March 2018 4:51:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy