The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Boycott booze for a better Australia > Comments

Boycott booze for a better Australia : Comments

By William Spaul, published 23/1/2018

There is more reason to ban alcohol ads than to ban tobacco ads. Alcohol does far more damage than any other drug.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Agree.
Posted by ateday, Tuesday, 23 January 2018 8:28:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
At the cricket, a sad old ex-Prime Minister downs a beer and the cheer from the crowd is louder than a boundary shot gets. Don't tell me that: “It is wrongly said that alcohol is a major part of Australian culture – it is merely a major part of the lives of a minority of Australians.  It is clearly not specifically Australian, being consumed in many other countries.”

Alcohol is definitely a major part of Australian culture, just as it is in “many other countries”. Try, as a non-drinker or ex-drinker, confessing at a gathering or merely when dining out that you don't drink, and prepare for the stunned reaction. “How do you manage?”, I have been asked. Teetotallers embarrass drinkers. It could be that they think abstainers are freaks, weirdos, religious nuts; but,given the facial expressions and body language, it could be, and often is, something to do with their own drinking – a bit of guilt perhaps.

“And the facts are that the majority of Australians either don’t drink at all (22% are in this category); drink moderately and do not view alcohol as a significant part of their lives, or overtly pressure others to drink; or only drink because others do and they want to “fit in”, are not facts at all, apart from the 22% of non-drinkers. Alcohol is a serious problem. Most people use it, an increasing number over-use it. And, no. The over-users are not necessarily the young and stupid. Increasing problems are arising in old farts like me, living too long, bored and unable to realise that their systems can't take the booze any more.

There is no safe amount of alcohol. However, drinkers don't want to hear that, and all we can hope for is that they don't do too much harm to themselves and, more importantly, harm to others.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 23 January 2018 8:51:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I vouch for the observations of ttbn.

Alcohol is a well disguised downward path for too many.
Jail, although it only comes with a negative PR, is actually very positive, on the level of drug and alcohol addictions.

When I was locked away for a “year and a day” for violent crimes, the most endearing of companions were alcoholics and drug F*..

Often for the first time in their life, they found peace and solitude, an essential ingredient in mind repair.

When I advocate more prison sentences, its those with addiction problems I have in mind, who will gain the biggest advantage.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 23 January 2018 10:32:01 AM
All those alcohol tax dollars to the Government "earns" alcohol companies those special advertising exemptions.

This is during the most profitable occasions for product placements - sporting events.
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 23 January 2018 12:15:26 PM
Message on a T-shirt.

"Instant arsehole - Just add beer"

With some it is so true.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 23 January 2018 12:31:16 PM
Another T shirt, another sign. "Sh!t happens, no it doesn't, R soles cause it". And number among them, load abusive drunks that won't take no for an answer, are all hands and piss where they please.

Nothing wrong with a couple of beers, a glass of wine. However for some folks, one is one too many and a thousand, never enough.

Prohibition just doesn't work! But advertising a sruperfying substance ought to be unlawful, as indeed should be, serving drunks!

In my day, closing time was 6pm. and the legal drinking age was 21.

As far as I'm concerned, binge drinking by teens was all but unheard of back then. And one could go to the cricket without having to tolerate being showered with alcohol by folk on the hill, whose only aim is to get blind drunk and abuse all other cricket enthusiasts, as their day out.

We've gone far too far down the libertarian road and need to wind much of it back, particularly when you can now buy alcohol in supermarkets and booze barns, 7 days a week.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 23 January 2018 10:25:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy