The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Working culture must change if equal parenting is to become a reality > Comments

Working culture must change if equal parenting is to become a reality : Comments

By Catharine Lumby, published 20/2/2004

Catherine Lumby discusses the the choice between caring for children and pursuing a career, for both men and women

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Why do we never see articles asking why men, and only men are expected to work a lifetime in a job without any acknowledgement of the sacrifice involved with this burden? I have worked in a female dominated environment all of my life and I have never ceased to be amazed by the presumption and self centredness of the majority of these women. On countless occasions women who work on a part time basis (I'm a teacher) have confided that their husband is on the verge of a breakdown or suffering from depression because 30 years in the workforce has broken their spirit. Not one woman (in my 25 years of teaching) has ever considered taking a full time position to lighten the burden their husband has carried without ever questioning the system that decrees he must, because that is all men can do. Some have blatantly stated "There's no way I'm going back to work" and usually with a snigger and wink. They won't give up their weekly game of tennis and cafe lunches after weekly shopping sprees. Oh yes, I bleed for the poor women who have to live in this oppressive patriachy of ours. You should hear the girls squeal when they divorce or separate and the horrible chains of a lifetime in the job are placed around their shoulders-something every boy has thrust upon him at birth. When feminists write their rants about choice and career they never mean 40 years in the job. They want to play lawyer for a few years then move on to something else, or go part time or have another baby-the choices are endless. Men have no choices. I look forward to the day when we see screaming angry headlines about this invisible fact!!
Posted by chalkie, Sunday, 5 March 2006 5:43:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy