The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Therapeutic Goods Administration’s false promise for struggling smokers > Comments

The Therapeutic Goods Administration’s false promise for struggling smokers : Comments

By Marija Polic, published 17/10/2017

In WA the maximum penalty for vaping is $45,000, or imprisonment, or both. Unless you obtain a special prescription.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Ignorance of the law has never ever been a defence in this country!

However I do have some sympathy for nicotine addicts and would want our pharmaceutical companies to manufacture a nicotine laced, [shove it where the sun never ever shines,] suppository they could use to quell their craving.

Without ever imposing their habit or despicable ashtray breath on other folk!

They might even combine their medical marijuana as well, in a two for one, shot in the dark, outcome? And in good company!

This would have the added benefit of limiting their possible related cancers to their bowels?

And more easily removed or treated and allow them to compete in their favorite sports, without ever once having their breathing compromised by the smoker's disease, emphysema. Or tarred and tanned lungs!

The bowels are ringing etc/etc.

You'll have a nice day now y'hear.
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 17 October 2017 10:19:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The XXXX Brewery in qld sent me a carton after I suggested a nicotine-flavoured beer to assist quiting . Trendy restaurants could try nicotine marinade , nico smoky BBQ and baby formula for kids with chimney mums.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 17 October 2017 1:50:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
1. As usual AlanB speaks with great authority about things of which he is utterly and comedically ignorant while, helpfully, demonstrating that ignorance. Not a good look for a doctor (LOL).

2. I'm not entirely sure Ms Polic is right about the law in regards to vaping nicotine. I know that the legal position is (deliberately?) vague but my understanding is that in NSW (for example) it is legal to vape nicotine products and legal to import small quantities of nicotine e-juice for personal use. Certainly I've had no problems doing so and have not in any way sought to hide what I'm buying.

Vaping is safe both for the vaper and those around them. Studies have demonstrated that there is no (literally NO) 'second-hand smoke' issues. As the author says, studies have shown that vaping is 95% safer than smoking. It should be noted that those studies couldn't actually find any safety issues with vaping but no scientist will ever say something is 100% safe.

What the war against vaping shows is that the jihad against smoking was, at least in the last two decades, not about safety but about power (the power to force others to comply with your standards) and about revenue raising.

If governments were truly concerned about the safety of the smoker they'd be out there advocating that all smokers start getting their nicotine hit from e-juice. Thousands of lives could be saved. But they aren't because of the hit to revenue and because they'd lose the power to interfere in the lives of others.
Posted by mhaze, Wednesday, 18 October 2017 7:29:15 AM
mhaze says"What the war against vaping shows is that the jihad against smoking was, at least in the last two decades, not about safety but about power (the power to force others to comply with your standards) and about revenue raising. "
I couldn't agree more. I think these people see it as a moral issue rather than a health issue. As such they are simply trying to force their own morals on other people. Sadly the people who suffer from this are overwhelmingly poor and marginalised populations such as the mentally ill. While it is no problem for me to get on the internet and purchase e-cigs and nicotine, that is not the case for many people suffering from serious mental illness, who have neither a computer nor a credit card with which to make the purchase. Approximately 90% of people with schizophrenia smoke tobacco and smoke it in large quantities. They have little ability to give it up and are some of the most impoverished people in the community. The tobacco smoking makes their poverty even worse due to the extraordinary level of excise tax they pay. Those sitting in our parliaments are overwhelmingly non-smokers and I suspect none of them have a serious mental illness. If they did, e-cigs would be legal and available today.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Wednesday, 18 October 2017 12:03:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy