The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The first person of the Trinity: the Father > Comments

The first person of the Trinity: the Father : Comments

By Peter Sellick, published 16/10/2017

While it may seem rationally urgent to posit the existence of a being who set the planets in their orbits, this is not a concept to be found in the Hebrew Scriptures.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I'm of the opinion God the "Father" is a:

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Ageing, Women of Colour.

Praise Be
http://youtu.be/ciPszqk703k
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 16 October 2017 4:39:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The first problem that we face when conceiving of the Father is that He is identified as God without regard to the other persons of the Trinity. "
Sells
You have to get onto that , fast. A quick prayer or two and check the Koran for style and start revising . Mohammed knew his stuff.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 16 October 2017 5:32:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aaaaannnnnndddddd.... ladies, gentleman, extraterrestrials and assorted others... this is what you've been waiting for!!

The Main Event! The Big Showdown! Jehovah vs. the World, the Umpteenth Rematch! Let's cross live now to Cain & Abel in the commentary box to hear their thoughts on the upcoming rematch.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 16 October 2017 7:07:27 PM
CAIN: Yes, it's shaping up to be an exciting rematch here tonight. And you know, I think that Jehovah really their work cut out for them tonight. Despite many years of at the top of the league, the World are really starting to show some good form.

ABEL: I don't know Cain, they still have a lot of loyal and deeply passionate supporters out there in the stands, and I think we could be in for a tight match.

CAIN: Well you can't help but admire the passion with which the Jehohvan fans support their team - what they lack in numbers they make up for in volume. But I think it's fair to say that at this stage it's only the Jews and the Christians cheering for Jehovah.

ABEL: Well Cain, you know I've always said that Jehovah and Allah should broker a merger. They'd form a stronger club with a bigger fan base, and really give the World a run for the money.

CAIN: There is definitely strength in numbers. And you know, I think that might be what tips the balance in favour of the World. Have you seen their front line? We're talking all the big names: Thor, Mars, Ares, Kali, Fionn mac Cumhaill...hard gods, heavy hitters. They've got Heimdallr in goal, and nothing is getting past that god because they've got Loki on their team as well, running interference along with set. Hume, Russell and Hitchens are blocking. And of course, you can't look past Spinoza's incredible form... perhaps the finest Seeker since the legendary Viktor Krum. I mean come on, Abel. They've even got a better mascot: a flying spaghetti monster vs. an invisible ghost. Remind me of the Jehovan line up again?

ABEL: Well there's Jehovah of course, and his son....

CAIN: His carpenter son? The really cissy one? Christ, Thor is gonna tear him a new one.

ABEL: Yes, Jehovah and Jesus, and few rabbis and some saints.

CAIN: Well I hope their fans are praying for a miracle tonight, Abel.

ABEL: Who's umpire?

CAIN: The Buddha.

ABEL: Oh, well they're fuc….
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 16 October 2017 7:22:07 PM
The article exquisitely describes the role of the Son: Thank you!

The article also sharply describes what the Father is not and how His name was used in vain by 17th-century scientists to try to solve their petty curiosities: Brilliant!

The article does not describe, however, why the Father is even needed.
Yes, we have an "image of the son", but why objectivise it by calling it "Father"?

The author claims:
"He is identified as God without regard to the other persons of the Trinity. This is as true for Christians and non-Christians..."

No, not for Hindus like myself: I do not identify the Father as God, I cannot even see why I should.
I do actually feel closer to the Trinity, as more inviting to seek God and walk in His ways, but then each to their own.

As far as I and Hinduism is concerned, the Father is like any other god, an aiding image that is used to focus the devotee's attention on God. If this particular image of God as Father worked best for the children of Israel (due to their culture), then so be it. If as a Jew or Muslim it works best for you, then go for it, forsake all other gods and worship the Father alone, then let God's blessings and peace be upon you. But keep in mind that this Father is only YOUR chosen deity, not necessarily others', for whom different gods may work better.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 16 October 2017 7:57:54 PM

Dear Peter,

You have elevated your mysticism to a paroxysm of ecstasy on that one, Peter … must be the grand finale, I guess.

Bravo ! Well done !

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 17 October 2017 7:00:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy