The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia Day deserves to stay > Comments

Australia Day deserves to stay : Comments

By Charles Smith, published 2/10/2017

Newcomers are unlikely to join our national community and adopt our culture if we keep telling them that our country has very little of which to be proud.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I couldn't agree with him more. If we don't celebrate our genesis, we can't very well expect others to do so either. Besides, the author is a former copper from WA, so how could he be wrong?
Posted by o sung wu, Monday, 2 October 2017 9:25:11 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Personally, I would not mind changing Australia day to another date - the Eureka stockade comes to mind. But I take your point that we should not apologise for our existence. I think the current date can still be marked as Australia day without offending Aborigines if it is not a mindless celebration.

Anzac day is a good example. It marks a military disaster fought for another country and is marred by too much patriotism in my opinion. But I would not like to see it abandoned. I would rather see it discussed differently. And I would especially like it to be noted that Australia voted against conscription in 1916, an amazing feat given the jingoistic spirit of the times.
Posted by Boffin Chris, Monday, 2 October 2017 10:08:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If there's anything else you don't like or care for? Load it on the left or anything centre of the extreme right!

Or just blame labor. Blame labor, blame labor, blame labor. It doesn't matter what is, it could be his or his or his. And sung as endlessly repeated verse, to the tune of the mexican hat dance.

As for Australia day? If it ain't broke don't fix it or allow a vigorously waged, [urban activist,] tail to wag the dog!

I believe part of essential recognition and reconciliation needs to part of a long overdue, welcome to country and solemn smoking/broken spear ceremony at Bennelong point and on OUR Australia day. That draws a line under a past, that can NEVER EVER BE CHANGED!

And as important as it is in some tiny fixated obsessed minds? It pales completely in comparison to an inclusive democratic future!

Supported and underpinned by a bill of irrevocable rights, in this OUR Australia! Where the BS notion of a left or right can be finally jettisoned in the dustbin of history!

To be replaced with good or bad policy, up or down/in or out, and coupled to, long overdue, bipartisan pragmatism!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 2 October 2017 10:08:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The War Against Everything!

Bundle this subject into gay rights blind march through our society, and what becomes painfully obvious, is that lack of the majority of the population to engage in, through personal interest, any form of protest against the blatant madness of unrepresentative causes, which best describes them.

If the teachers unions, the extended arm of the extraterrestrial race of left wing mutant Darleks, can dictate (through government control, represented as the Labor Party), that children be taught the virtues of gender bending; then what hope for defence against other mad causes such as this one.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 2 October 2017 10:08:59 AM
Yes Alan B and what about cheap as Chips Thorium? Sell that to the Australian Labour Party lol!
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 2 October 2017 10:14:02 AM
A One Nation member whinging about nothing...as usual. And to state there is an 'unbalanced view of our history' being portrayed, is he serious? How about the 170 years of whitewash and master narrative that created the peaceful colonization myth...now there was (and in some cases still is) an unbalanced view of history. People like that are in denial of the facts. And there's a few minutes of my life wasted on his drivel.
Posted by minotaur, Monday, 2 October 2017 11:13:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy