The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Australian way > Comments

The Australian way : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 3/10/2017

So, how does the average Aussie punter work out what it is we are all supposed to be promoting and defending?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I disagree that “... they differ broadly when they endeavour to explain what it is they are defending”. And, both Turnbull and Shorten disagree with the afore-mentioned because both Turnbull and Shorten are LEFTISTS without much interest in defending anything but themselves! The “average Aussie punter” ( bit of a put down tossed in there) knows what we are supposed to be defending – unlike the author of this twaddle.

What the hell are “more moderate citizens”? How do they differ from the 'punters? Does it mean they are off-the-plant Left, like the Leftists in the Liberal party trying to make themselves sound 'reasonable', instead of the loony Lefties that they are.

And, Everald, it is only YOUR point of view that opposition to 'gays' and lesbians is “primitive”. You might have allowed your morals and standards to slip to accommodate an attack on our traditions, but a great many of us have not. Morals and standards do not change just because a minority of ratbags and Marxists want something different.

It is beginning to look as though it is you (and people like you) are what we are defending ourselves against. And, we will be defending ourselves against the blatant advertising of your books, also.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 3 October 2017 3:15:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's a good start everald, that's hard to disagree with. Yet we remain almost alone as one of the advanced economies, without a bill of rights.

I would add that we started as predominantly a celtic/anglo country from a christian ethos and the dominant culture.

Those that want to join us as new australians ought embrace that ethos/dominant culture, if not in actuality, then in spirit.

It really boils down to the truism, i.e., united we stand, divided we fall. And never ever helped by divide and rule politics!

Moreover, it's not so much what Australia can do for you, but rather what can you do for or bring to Australia.

I've had a belly full of new chums coming here and not liking what they find?

So instead of going elsewhere more conducive to their expectations? Try to impose a completely unpalatable culture on those already here. From ghettoised enclaves?

We don't need to become like Iraq or Turkey or Israel, as divided democracies unable to agree on anything. Including what they've already agreed or committed to!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 3 October 2017 7:29:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of our foremost characteristics is our distrust of dogma, which this preamble reeks of.

And where is our humour, our larrikin cheekiness?

Or our casual informality?

"It is our tradition to welcome to our shores migrant people of all cultures"

Wrong. It was our tradition to welcome Europeans, primarily from the British Isles, with an expectation of assimilation, not segregation.

Assimilation being far more difficult and unlikely with non-Europeans, which was the whole point of the former restriction.

A "tradition" of immigration also does not justify a perpetual continuation of it into eternity.
It must stop at some point, which this preamble would make legally impossible.

"but we will always rise to defend"

We can always sympathise, but unless it is in *our* interests, we should be non-interventionist.
Posted by Shockadelic, Tuesday, 3 October 2017 7:44:50 PM
'but we will always rise to defend those who are denied freedom or suffer oppression.'
- Sounds like you're saying we're obliged to help others, both financially and in our dead sons and daughters sent to fight other peoples wars.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 3 October 2017 9:36:59 PM
"and I reckon it will take at least twenty before I can get it anywhere near being acceptable to a majority of Australians."

So the author acknowledges that the current constitution, as well as his suggested ones so far, is not acceptable to most Australians!

Suppose he somehow manages (with our help) to polish his words to the point that 51% accept them, then he will impose it on the other 49%... beginning with "Australians are a free people"...

"In the final analysis, the purpose of words like these which can begin our Constitution is to create the opportunity for a majority of Australians to personally commit with pride..."

And the others who don't feel that way? Yea, throw them to the dogs so that you have an opportunity to feel proud.

Well Mister Compton, nationalism is a symptom of dementia!

Why do we need such bombastic declarations at all - shouldn't we just agree to disagree, isn't this closer to the true Australian way?!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 4 October 2017 5:58:49 AM
Good stuff . It needs a declaration "I am , you are , we are Australian" and "I promise to hang the flag out the front of my house and have at least two (2) shirts with the flag sewn on." " I'm sorry for the failure of Eureka Stockade , Anzac Cove and for Kiwi footy supremacy. Honourable ancestors say spit on graves of New Zealand bad people in 7 hells and great victories for mates , cobbers and diggers". " Malcolm Turnbull is a strong leader and is good value".
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 5 October 2017 6:15:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy