The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is there a doctor in the house? The gendered use of honorifics > Comments

Is there a doctor in the house? The gendered use of honorifics : Comments

By Evelyn Tsitas, published 18/9/2017

In April, the local arm of global banking giant HSBC started offering customers the choice of multiple

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I don't see what all the fuss is about!

Why should anyone take issue with a title, be it Mz, Miss, Missy, Mr, Mister, Minister, Mrs or Lady?

Me, I prefer Mate, Cobber or Alan!

As for Sir, I tend to stand/come to attention, [even if sat,] and salute. Just make a point?

We Aussies just don't stand on ceremony and don't have much time for toffee nosed snobs or Feminazis, who do!

There are a thousand and one things far more important, than precious petals who have their, often autocratic to a fault, feelings hurt? By social conventions of a, new to them, land!?

Or by women who want all the benefits of marriage except the usual social conventions?

I know of third world women who would give their eye teeth to be Mrs somebody/anybody in a land of opportunity.

Time to start counting your garden by the flowers in it, rather than the weeds, Dr!

By the way Dr. If you don't like us and our old fashioned social conventions? You're at perfect liberty to return to your ancestral homeland!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 18 September 2017 8:00:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Footnote:
Respect is something one earns! Not something that one is entitled to by dint of an alphabet soup, label!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 18 September 2017 8:05:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sir is sire , "used chiefly of beasts especially stallions".
"In April, the local arm of global banking giant HSBC started offering "Msr", a combination of Miss and Sir."
Their children are Msree as in "employee", or Msrable if a school teacher was Sir, and got no pocket money from the Msers. The Confederate Air Force makes all members Colonel and marriage equality should allow everyone to be Dr.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 18 September 2017 8:55:43 AM
Nickoffnick, your confusion over sir/sire is understandable for you? Given when you say to your girlfriend. I've got a longun for you babe! Has a number of unusual eye opening elephantitis connotations?

Which possibly explains why you work like a horse? After all, you're built like one? Nay, he haw?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 18 September 2017 11:19:48 AM
Looks like a donkey vote yes & no. Old French sire " my lord,". Standing alone and meaning "your majesty" . General sense of "important elderly man" is from mid-14c.;
sir , variant of sire, originally used only in unstressed position such as sitting salute , the elephant in the room.
Posted by nicknamenick, Monday, 18 September 2017 12:17:10 PM
personally I don't think a woman refusing to take her husbands name is worthy of him.
Posted by runner, Monday, 18 September 2017 12:28:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy