The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > I know! Let's have a plebiscite on having a republic! > Comments

I know! Let's have a plebiscite on having a republic! : Comments

By John de Meyrick, published 2/8/2017

Mr Shorten would surely know that, with the costs of living and housing affordability on the rise and with stagnant wage growth, the last thing on the minds of working Australians at present is whether Australia should become a republic.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
As is fairly obvious politicians ALWAYS get their priorities right.
Bill for president........
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 2 August 2017 11:38:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes there are other more important more pressing issues!

Like the ever rising cost of living and no real solutions in sight or on offer?

Even so, I agree we should have a plebiscite on whether or not we want to be a republic and have our own elected head of state. Then another in the next term to decide the manner of that appointment and its ultimate length!

And ought to come from someone who has never ever ran for political office nor been a member of a political party! NO DIVIDED LOYALTIES THANK YOU!

That said, we need affordable housing, affordable energy and assured reliable water, as must do imperatives!

Moreover, none of the same old, same old ideas currently trotted out by either party, seem to offer very much of any of that?

On one hand we have ultra right wing conservatives, trying manfully and to a man, to restore/reconstruct privilege and the master servant concept!? That served us so well when as a crown possession, we were a far flung penal colony?

Those were the days my friend, when we thought our unearned privilege and position, would never ever end.

Yes we can rebuild this nation if we are alone in charge of it and not this or that foreign entity facing self assured sovereign risk!

Affordable energy? THORIUM!

Assured affordable water? THORIUM POWERED DEIONIZATION DIALYSIS DESALINATION!

Affordable housing then follows what would then surely be the greatest affordable energy and water borne, pioneering decentralization and expansion outcome, in this nation's history.

We don't need a smaller economic pie, with vested interest gathering like various vultures for a larger and larger (bare bone) share! And the reason housing, energy and the cost of living is so expensive!

But one three times as large! And doable, if we but use the brains we were born with!

That leaves nobody behind and gives recalcitrant Landlords, and others, myriad other, vastly more profitable, more intelligent, cooperative capitalism, investment options!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 2 August 2017 11:49:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let's not do anything and stick with what's worth.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 2 August 2017 3:08:55 PM
Meant 'stick with what works'.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 2 August 2017 3:10:08 PM
With what works for who? Please explain. The various Price gouging, tax avoiding, profit repatriating, vultures with their grubby hands in our pockets or the till?

And if nothing very much changes except the political spin? Just more of the same, only bigger?

And the only ones not genuinely troubled by any of it? The (I'm alright Jack) overpriced numbskulls we pay to fix it, not sell us down the river?

Stick with what works, a comment from Grandad, in defence of the horse drawn plow and the overland telegraph!

Struth! Why do I bother?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 2 August 2017 4:50:45 PM
Indeed Alan, why do you?
Posted by ateday, Wednesday, 2 August 2017 5:12:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy