The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Born that way > Comments

Born that way : Comments

By Mark Makowiecki, published 4/5/2017

India had skewed the sex-ratio of its population to 94 females for every 100 males. The ratios in the city, where ultrasound clinics are most concentrated, are far worse.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
A healthy child is more than enough, particularly given the cost, materially and emotionally!

It's not like a shopping expedition where choice is always available! Arguably the fact, recognizable
human life is involved by the time it's possible to identify the sex! Troubling ethical questions along with a level of callous indifference arise! Given some fully formed humans might need to be aborted?

Left up to me, it would be enough to give intending parents a healthy child by the preferred natural means using their genetic material! Otherwise in my view they should adopt, where choice is still ethical, if mean spirited!

Just because we can doesn't mean we should!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 4 May 2017 10:53:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ideally we should stop all this business of procreation anyway - there are way far too many humans on earth.

But lets suppose there is a couple who are specifically obsessed with having a boy or a girl. The best for them (and for everyone else) is to undergo some psychological treatment to rid themselves of that obsession - but say they just don't want to, what's next?

If they try again and again until they get the gender they want, then there will be even more people on earth (and unwanted at that), but if they can choose their first child's gender and get what they wanted, then the world population has only increased by one. Everyone gained.

But what about the child? Would they suffer from the possible imbalance? Well, today's youth are less and less interested in physical sex anyway, it's all virtual for them and electronic gadgets become ever more sophisticated so they can get the same experience without "old-fashioned" physical intercourse. I'm not saying it's good, but perhaps that's nature's ecological way of finally capping the human population.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 4 May 2017 10:56:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I always get annoyed with people that feel that they have the right to interfere in other people's choices with no real justification. In Aus there is no real gender bias, and family balancing is just that.

Parents with 2 boys or girls that want a girl or boy should be allowed to do so. Where there is clear bias such as in India or China, then perhaps action is justified, otherwise the interfering busy bodies should just bugger off.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 5 May 2017 7:08:54 PM
Shadow Minister, I think you have a good point.
Posted by rollyczar, Wednesday, 10 May 2017 12:25:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy