The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Choosing a school > Comments

Choosing a school : Comments

By John Töns, published 2/3/2017

Many parents fail to realise that before their child starts school they have already put down a solid foundation for success.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
“All parents want the best for their children.”

That's a very broad statement, and not always true at all; some people even have their children aborted.

How many parents really spend “..many hours agonising over which school to select for their children”? I believe that any of us here would have as much, or as little, insight into the minds of people we don't know, as would John Tons, president of Zero Carbon Network  would. I don't see his presidency of such an organisation, and his interest in Stop Population Growth Now endowing him with with a special knowledge on education and parenting.

My bet is that, most parents lazily choose the government school option and hope for the best – if they give education a second thought after the child is ensconced among all the other brain-wash-ready, future unemployed at the public dehumanising institutions – except for the after-school care necessary so that the missus can continue 'fulfilling' herself in retail or hospitality.

There are, of course, parents who do want their children, and who do want the best for them. For these, there should be vouchers available – from savings made on handing out more and more money to dud state education and unions – so that they can chose private education, which, in many cases they cannot afford.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 2 March 2017 9:57:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well done tttbn...I couldn't give the subject that much thought, (much as I tried).
Schooling children to become like sheep, into adulthood and beyond, has the sound of uneducated thought behind the idea!

The kids I noticed that went onto bigger and brighter future when I attended school, learnt Latin and were categorised as pansies, and picked off accordingly!
So it is probably a good idea for aspirational people to consider corralling their child away from harm, at an expensive private school, where they may be forced to wear raffia hats, and be picked off on their way home from school
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 2 March 2017 10:25:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I believe education must begin at home with parents who encourage their children to learn and be inquisitive from the very beginning.
Posted by ateday, Thursday, 2 March 2017 10:59:36 AM
Ahh the old public vs private school argument

I went to a state school, and by year 12 I realised education was going to get me a career not a job.

Today I have 3 children who attend a very expensive private school, so the questions are

1) are they brighter than state school students? no
2) will they get a job quicker? Yes (employers do look at someone's past education)
3) can they handle themselves in public? Yes (in private schools you are taught how to greet someone, handshake, saying thankyou etc)
4) More opportunities Yes (the facilities are world class, pool ovals, sporting and have the best coaches)
5) Are the teachers better? Yes because they can be sacked for underperformance (I'm not talking about pedifiles or breaking the law) I'm talking about the teachers who have just given up and can't wait to retire. Which I had many and my children in state primary school had.

So, I would rather the author, say thank you for not being a burden on the state system than complain about the cost of private schools.

State schools are great for those who cannot afford private education, the only way to improve the education standard is to improve the quality of the teacher (and sack the non-performers)
Posted by kirby483, Thursday, 2 March 2017 11:01:18 AM
I believe we need to end state operated public schools, which should be handed over to the P&TA. As demonstrably those who have through their taxes and volunteering, have paid for it! And certainly not the public servants who control the funding? A significant portion of which winds up in their pockets as admin fees, before a single cent is committed to government sponsored education.

What we need instead is regional autonomy and Principles who have the right to hire and fire and only on merit.

Then the education dollar needs to be allocated as a means tested endowment. And if the wealthy tax avoiders are offended, then so am I as millionaires get their taxes down to 15% or lower, then claim that because they pay more tax, they deserve the lion's share. And disputable/unproven!

This paradigm or direct funding model should cut education costs by up to 30%, part of which has to be from withheld GST.

Half?

With the other half earmarked for similarly autonomous health care?

Which would see better value coalface spending as the priority, than unmonitored (Australia Post) executive Taxpayer funded salaries and ought always remain so, given even a corporatized system still remains taxpayer owned, along with any profit stream!

And then allow schools to compete for student numbers, based on their NAPLAN results, with the best able to pick and choose on student academic results, rather than income alone!

And given that model? A much superior system that allows the cream to rise to the top rather than be homogenized by wealth and privilege? The Philippine model?

And a road we need to get off before we Philippinize our system? Extreme but shrinking wealth in an ocean of ever increasing poverty! And ably assisted by the visually impaired leading the visually impaired. Quote, unquote.

And the end result of unfettered capitalism/privilege given its head!

Just compare them with tiny resource poor Singapore and the results of diametrically different social democracy, given they were both, Pacific rim, basket case economies at war's end!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 2 March 2017 12:37:49 PM
Send them to that private school.

Particularly today, that old boy network, or now the old girl network, is what will get you a career way beyond what your abilities make you entitled to expect.

On the other hand, remember Eisenhower's statement that he did not want good generals, or even great generals, he wanted lucky generals.

On that theme, you need some luck in the job market. 2 of 3 kids did all the work. 4 years getting useful degrees, & some further training. They both have good jobs in good areas.

The third did not much, just a 6 month training course. However being in the right place, at the right time got her into a defence force contractor. Further right time/place & up the ladder she went. She now has a recession proof position, earning much more than the other 2, simply because of luck. Yes she is good at what she does, & needs savvy not qualifications to do her job, but she needed a lot of luck, or have an old boy network, to get there.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 2 March 2017 12:54:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy