The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Decision time for school funding > Comments

Decision time for school funding : Comments

By David Robertson, published 1/3/2017

The myths and mistruths continually perpetuated about the so-called 'Gonski' funding model, which commenced in 2014, are not helping either.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
School funding needs to be a means tested education endowment only that then allows parents to pick the best school for their kids And based on published results.

And could dry up if a poor attendance record/massaged report card results are in evidence, minus bonafide extenuating circumstances. And just that much incorporating as much as a 30% saving and state govts howling the house down, when say half? the GST is withheld for that exclusive purpose?

The other half distributed on a pro rata basis to hospitals and direct health care funding, minus the usual state government skimming for alleged admin costs fees and charges.

And possibly includes another 30 reduction in alleged public health care costs?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 1 March 2017 11:25:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
By definition we know that 49% of teachers are below average performers. The first thing we should do is dismiss half of these poor teachers, the lowest performing half of course. Classes should be increased to 1950s sizes, when we were achieving top results.

We should then go back to the system we had in the 40/50s, with inspectors & ranking of teachers. The lowest ranked 5% to be dismissed every year.

We should then revert to the syllabus & teaching methods employed in the 50s. I know my contemporaries & I received a much better education than did my kids 10 years ago.

We could try paying just the top 15% of achieving teachers a 20% bonus, for as long as they continue to achieve the top results.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 1 March 2017 12:42:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
good totally free. You could likewise stream this application http://imobdroapp.com/mobdro-for-iphone-ipad-download-on-ios-best-alternatives and that to with finest alternatives of it. Most of us best.
Posted by Anthony999, Wednesday, 1 March 2017 9:07:59 PM
Hasbeen, Have you been in a school recently and seen what schools do?
It seems not. Do us all a favour and refrain from commenting on areas of personal ignorance.
Posted by Brian of Buderim, Wednesday, 1 March 2017 10:36:06 PM
Ma be has been have you ever been to school. This bloke lives in the time of Bango Patterson. With a thumb nail dipped in tar.
Posted by doog, Wednesday, 1 March 2017 11:11:07 PM
My wife & I established, & then ran for 15 years until very recently the school textbook hire scheme for the local high school, [1700 students], for the P&C association. My wife averaged 24 hours a week at the school doing this, & I did about 15 hours a week working on it.

This scheme saves the average parent about $200 a year, & injected $170,000 a year of P&C funds thus generated into the school.

We have seen the good, the bad, & the ugly, & the just plain lazy teachers. I have had to phone some heads of departments a dozen times to try to get them to give us their departments text book, & class set requirements for the next year, to enable us to order at best prices, then cover, prepare & catalogue these books ready for the next school year.

I can assure we, & the half a dozen helpers who repaired last years books, ready for reissue next year put in more hours of work than about 30% of the paid staff at that school.

So pull your head in Brian of Buderim & doog. You have no idea of what you are talking about, & probably never will. We have a much closer association with our local school than most of the teachers who have ever been there. By the way, which school do you or your offspring teach at. Bet it's a beauty.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 2 March 2017 12:00:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy