The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > PLEASE KNOW: A letter to teachers from the mother of a son with autism > Comments

PLEASE KNOW: A letter to teachers from the mother of a son with autism : Comments

By Randa Habilrih, published 17/2/2017

It's been 2 years since our son graduated from high school. There were times I never thought he would, but the night of the graduation was our family's proudest moment.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
This really resonates with me because it's two years since the autistic grandson in my care graduated from high school.
Like the author I too spent hundreds of hours in meetings with teachers.
I spent countless hours writing information sheets on how to manage his various moods and religiously handed them out at the beginning of each year in the futile hope that at least one teacher would bother reading them.
I sent letters of complaint the Education Ministers and Teachers Unions after one teacher traumatised my grandson so much he ended up unconscious in an ambulance on the way to hospital, having gone into total withdrawal.
However, on the positive side, I also met numerous teachers who tried their utmost to understand this sweet, gentle boy. The fault was not theirs, it's a consequence of putting children with disabilities into school settings without giving teachers the considerable training they need to cope with these " different" children.
Even the disability sectors in schools don't possess adequately trained staff, and although these staff members are fully committed to their role and generally give 110% to the kids in their care, the lack of real understanding of autism hampers real educational progress.
My grandson is highly intelligent, far more than I am, yet failed in every subject at school, despite the well meaning efforts of many teachers and the destructive approach of a few.
I don't have any answers to this huge problem, but surely an intense training program for all teachers employed in disability sectors of schools would be a good start.
To finish on a positive note, we are lucky enough to live in a small remote town,where my grandson and other kids with disabilities are nurtured by the community and my grandson has found a caring, supportive part time workplace in a field he enjoys. Tomorrow it may all fall apart, but for today, it's all good
Posted by Big Nana, Friday, 17 February 2017 12:57:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
good for COMPUTER. With the Google Play Store http://iplaystoreapp.com/google-play-store-for-pc-download-windows-8-10-7-free a million released applications as well as currently best.
Posted by Marisela, Sunday, 19 February 2017 3:00:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy