The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia Day 2017 > Comments

Australia Day 2017 : Comments

By Bob Ryan, published 5/1/2017

It is unfortunate that, when reasonable Australians strive to unite us all as a nation, there still persists an objection to celebrating January the 26th as Australia Day.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
How many people really care that few tossers want to feel 'sorry', feel 'guilty' and moan and groan about a particular date for Australia day? Who was here first? Who cares? Australians have turned into a bunch miserable bed-wetters without minds of their their own. What happened 200 or so years ago is old hat. Soon, 'they' will be putting tranquilizers in the water,so uptight about things we are getting.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 5 January 2017 10:35:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Can't unsee what's been seen, can't unsay what's been said, can't go back and change the past! And if we could, why would we want to?

Some of my forbears came here bound down in iron chains! Two thirds of who died during the voyage; or later from the accumulated rigors of the journey and subsequent cruelty!

Others had no other choice than accept indentured servitude in a hostile foreign land! Where friends were few and far between!

That said, there were clash of culture mistakes made, sometimes with the purest of intentions/motives!

Even so, I wasn't there and had no say, as indeed, an outcome applicable to my forbears!

Unwilling migrants to a virtual man! Who now are blamed for outcomes none had any say in! And when the only imperative for one and all, was survival!

We need to set aside a history that can't be changed or paid for by today's Australians, who were never ever participants!

Time to accept inevitable change, get over yourselves/victimhood, move on and make the best of what we have now! We need to set aside patently manufactured, politically motivated division and instead, look at that which we share; and the bigger picture and a still malleable, best possible, truly inclusive, egalitarian future!

Anyway, and in the final analysis, there's just no other still viable alternative choice! End of story!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 5 January 2017 12:15:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ttbn..
In describing a mental illness with symptoms of neurosis. Which of course is the stage prior to psychosis. You describe the public face of Australia.
It is quite simply mad on every level!
I mean, it's almost a divine projection of saintliness is it not?
Your an Australian? asks the tourist of a local.
Yes, replied the local.
And I'm very sorry if I have upset you in any way, may I apoligise for any future hurt on your visit to this, the most outstanding of all countries in the whole world, bar none.
And if you are a homosexual, may I humbly throw myself at your feet and beg you to kick my head in, as recommence for not having presented to you in this country, the right to marry your beautiful and loving boy friend...very sorry for that! (....).
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 5 January 2017 12:24:41 PM
It's all about an Black Armband History .

This history suits many in First Australians Politics.

Also , I cannot understand this "Invasion' Line.... if was an 'Invasion' then , surely , they lost ?
Posted by Aspley, Thursday, 5 January 2017 12:51:16 PM
This article could seem like thinly veiled racism. The trouble is it is not just Aboriginal people who have a problem with the date.
It is after all the date that the colony of NSW's was started.

Australia day should be the 1st of January and called federation day.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Thursday, 5 January 2017 2:52:54 PM
Most people don't really care about the actual date.
They just want a day off work, have a few drinks,
a barbeque, et cetera. None of those things can only be
done on the 26th January.

I looked up this subject on the web and discovered that
the tradition of having Australia Day as a national
holiday on 26 January is a recent one. Not until 1935
did all the Australian states and territories use that name
to mark that date. Not until 1994 did they begin to celebrate
Australia Day consistently as a public holiday on that date.

Seeing as Australia has only had a little over two decades
of holding Australia Day on the 26th January then
surely that is not too many years to acknowledge that perhaps
it was a poor choice and move it to a better day?

I suppose when all is said and done it all depends on
our outlook. If we want to see Australia as a colonial
outpost for the British then perhaps that day makes sense
but if we regard Australia as a "vibrant multicultural
society" and if we want to regard indigenous people as
a core part of the modern Australian ideology then it
makes no sense to have Australia Day on that date.

Personally, I would suggest that the best change of date
would be the day that we become a republic. Now that
would be a cause for celebration - and one that hopefully
would bring all Australians together.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 5 January 2017 5:00:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy