The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why pay for inserts? > Comments

Why pay for inserts? : Comments

By Ian Nance, published 10/11/2016

But why should we pay to receive promotions; we who control our discretionary spending?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Exactly! But then what can you expect when we rubes "just exist" to serve the economy, and or, the obscenely wealthy!

We have the most expensive mobile phone service in the world, which I have as a medical priority! And don't appreciate the data I pay for, being squandered at the behest of the server, to subvert my phone as their person to person billboard!

But then, you just can't polish a turd!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 10 November 2016 10:31:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Seriously?

I have a brilliant idea for you. If you don't want to be advertised to at trade shows, don't go. If you don't want advertising inserts in newspapers, don't buy them. It is not that hard to avoid a lot of advertising - except on OLO.

If you cinemas without advertising, here I have an idea for you. Start your own. See how much that costs to run and how many subscribers you can get at the prices you need to charge.

Society tolerates advertising in entertainment, because it helps keep the costs down for consumers. But the real secret is, you don't have to buy everything that is advertised.
Posted by Agronomist, Thursday, 10 November 2016 12:07:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When it comes to TV, I'd rather put up with a few minutes of advertising, than put up with the whole show being a propaganda vehicle, as we find on their ABC, & increasingly SBS.

As for mobile phones, why the hell would anyone not requiring one for possible medical emergencies want one. When I get in a car, about half the reason is to get the hell away from electronic contrivances, the reason I prefer my 36 year old Triumph TR7
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 10 November 2016 2:08:25 PM
I've always believed that a good quality product at a value for money price will sell itself.
Marketing theoretically just helps connect sellers with buyers.

When you have a substandard product at a exorbitant price, or if you're attempting to manipulate or persuade someone into buying something they dont need or on a whim; you need bells and whistles to con a person into buying it.

You don't pay extra in order to recieve the additional advertising.
You are essentially getting that for free.
The company advertising the products pays for the brochures and also pays the newspaper to have the brochures included in the newspaper; so in effect the money the newspaper makes placing these brouchures will be money the newspaper will not be required to extract from you when you purchase the newspaper.

Printed newspapers are becoming less financially viable in an internet world.
Don't complain too much, soon the newspaper won't exist at all, then you won't have the OPTION of buying it.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 10 November 2016 4:56:49 PM
Exactly. But in the end, what is their product but a total annoyance. Worse, an extravagant waste of precious resources, and an indoctrination process I was constantly objecting to.
I've relegated the Australian newspaper and the ABC, into the same basket, and I've noticed how much happier my surrounding world is: Try that!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 11 November 2016 5:08:19 AM
What a load of Tosh. Neither are you the Commissar of inserts, get a life and recycle, light the BBQ or clean the windows.
Posted by McCackie, Friday, 11 November 2016 6:39:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy