The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rating Malcolm > Comments

Rating Malcolm : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 2/11/2016

Listed in order of serving, my top rung consists of Barton, Deakin, Curtin, Chifley, Menzies, Hawke, Keating and Howard.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Gillard was one of the worst PM's of all. She passed masses of bad legislation, mostly to entrench bad policy and economic damage to Australia's economy that will last decades. She was beholden to the Unions. She was working for them, not for the good of Australia. The mining tax was a dreadful piece of legislation and would have done enormous damage if it had survived. But any government would have had to renege on its obligations. The carbon tax was another disastrous piece of legislation - the purpose of which was political and ideological. And then there was her illegal immigrant invasion (50,000 of them) and children locked up in detention. All Gillard's and Rudd's doing. These were what should be known as the "Invasion Days". And deficit and debt locked in for decades to come. What an absolute disaster. So much more that could be listed.

Why weren't you objective?

You article certainly reveals your political persuasion!
Posted by Peter Lang, Wednesday, 2 November 2016 9:50:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's priceless Peter that's Runner level pathology.

Great article Everald my list would be a little different but the the same conclusion, oh for a decent leader.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Wednesday, 2 November 2016 11:17:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Books have been written about the successes of Howard's early years as PM and his wasting of the nation's once in a lifetime opportunity towards the end as he desperately clung to office. He left a nation with structural deficits which subsequent budgets have not corrected. He also destroyed Australians' faith in the future by replacing it with fears of change and mean spirits.

History will treat Julia Gillard well. She very smartly and productively worked with a minority and surprised many with her skill as a negotiator. The Misogyny Speech is the equal of anything left by Robert Menzies. She achieved against an unedifying headwind from shock jocks and human headlines. If Kevin Rudd, Tony Abbott or our current PM had Julia's talents Australia would be in much better condition in 2016.

Unfortunately, negativity is now the ruling philosophy - tearing things down is more important than building up. What is gained by agenda-driven ripping into unions or employers, repealing legislation, sacking the best and brightest leaders in CSIRO, forcing removal of the Solicitor General, dismissing the head of the Dept of Agriculture and destroying the Human Rights Commissioner? Unfortunately, the same sickness afflicts all including minor parties at federal level. Where are the nation-builders and the leaders with vision?

The time-servers, the unlovable and single talent politicians who come from the shallow end of Australia's talent pool must go. Repair requires major surgery including replacement of 100 or more of the low achievers sitting on both sides of the Speaker's chair.

Whether Liberal or Labor,the party that first nominates a high quality team will provide the next high quality Prime Minister and a united Cabinet capable of working with departmental heads.

That leader will have more than slogans as their guide.
Posted by JohnBennetts, Wednesday, 2 November 2016 11:41:52 AM
Suppose we agree with most of this Everald? How old did you say you were? One doesn't remember Barton, even if he came from Tassie and simply has to bow to the preservative qualities of a single malt.

Mine was two fingers of Bird and made here in Tassie and exported almost to the very last drop, to Scots, connoisseurs of the occasional wee doc an doris?

Levity aside, the real question must be? Ben Chiefly or his modern day equivalent, where the bloody hell are ya?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Wednesday, 2 November 2016 11:44:55 AM
I agree with most of what you say apropos Malcolm TURNBULL, though my absolute top complaint I have with him is trust, I simply don't trust the man and I suspect many others are of the same opinion.

Your ranking of Ms GILLARD is in my view erroneous. She should be rated among the very worst PM's we've ever had, if not the worst. I suspect some wouldn't agree with me, but that's OK after all we're only in the process of providing our own opinion, as to the appropriate ranking of PM's, is all?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 2 November 2016 11:56:11 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No one seems to be singing the praises of Tony Abbott. The best thing that he could do would be to call his faction of of Neanderthals together and say to them "Listen you lot, if this government is going to be useful, we must get behind Malcolm Turnbull and support him in the things he wishes to do. You elected him to be the leader, so stop trying to undermine him".
Having done that, the standing of both men would increase and Malcolm could become the great leader which we expected.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 2 November 2016 12:18:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy