The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Smothered by the nanny state > Comments

Smothered by the nanny state : Comments

By Fotis Kapetopoulos, published 15/9/2016

The social and mental wellbeing of a free citizenry outweighs the concerns of those who wish to restrict and control non-violent behaviour like smoking a hookah or having a beer outdoors after 11pm.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The nanny state is nothing new, the challenge of finding the balance point between individual freedom and protection is a tough one.

If it wasn't we wouldn't still be trying to get it.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Thursday, 15 September 2016 9:14:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Public safety is the yard stick...in the case of closing times, safety of the public on a public street at anytime of day or night, must be the priority and focus of laws restricting the sale of alcohol.
Less public drinking time is a laudable objective IMO.
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 15 September 2016 9:21:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In NSW there are now appearing road signs warning that just ahead there is a STOP sign; apparently this is done to assist those who can't see STOP signs.
The next improvement to Road Safety wii be warning signs to warn of a warning sign ahead!!

Anyone remember when NSW had HALT signs (as well as STOP signs) and why they suddenly disappeared?
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 15 September 2016 9:31:20 AM
The author needs to go and spend a weekend night in the casualty department of one of the major city hospitals. The doctors concern is evidence based.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 15 September 2016 10:40:22 AM
Is Mise,

> The next improvement to Road Safety wii be warning signs to warn of a warning sign ahead!!

That's uncalled for. The STOP SIGN AHEAD signs have resulted in big improvements to road safety by ensuring all vehicles are able to stop in time. You might think everyone should be able to stop where they're required to in all circumstances, but realistically that's not going to happen while we have human drivers. Indeed were it ever to happen, there'd be a lot of complaints about how slowly the trucks were going.
Posted by Aidan, Thursday, 15 September 2016 10:55:22 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I lived through the days of the sixoclock swill, yet had no problem drinking all the beer I wanted at whatever ungodly hour I chose, with or without invited company!

I'd prefer that all smoking (with or without smoking implements) in licensed venues was conducted in a cordoned off area equipped with mandatory extraction fans!

Smokers could the please themselves what they chose to consume orally, always providing it was purchased on appropriately licenced premises and they were able to present evidence of private health cover!

If you want to catapult yourself into an early grave that's your self inflicted choice, just not at my expense!

And I believe we need zero tolerance for drunken unruly behaviour/hooliganism defecating/vomiting in public places, which ought to involve some mandatory jail time and be controlled/enforced by armed, shoot first and ask questions later, police armed with nonlethal 20 gauge bean bag ammo!

I have so little sympathy for the selfish self centred views of the author, if it could be measured, it would be smaller than a grain of mustard seed!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 15 September 2016 11:25:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy