The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mao Zedong: hero or villain? > Comments

Mao Zedong: hero or villain? : Comments

By Peter West, published 9/9/2016

There are many people living here from Malaysia, Taiwan, and other places whose people identify as Chinese or as Chinese-Australians. Should they be celebrating Mao's anniversary?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Adolf Hitler: hero or villain?

Only a statist could such a question.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Friday, 9 September 2016 8:51:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A statist? Meh?- (as the kids say these days)
Posted by Waverley, Friday, 9 September 2016 9:26:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Firstly, Mao killed 50million people, not thousands and he did so as a communist.
That's twice the population of our nation - All Dead.
I respect that theres pro's and con's with every argument but not a lot to see here.
No disrespect to the Chinese.

What is this?
An attempt to drum up support for Hillary with her 'Chairman Mao' pantsuits?
Sorry, I don't care for communists or mass murderers.

As for Dastari, that smug little worm should be charged.
Anyone else who tries to NOT pay the government what's owed end up in jail.
Why is he any different? 1 rule for them another for everyone else.
This piece of toilet scum supports Muslims and Chinese over Australians in our country.
And he openly claims "I didn't want to pay it" so he sells our country out instead.
And he thinks he's smart and 'Australian' for 'taking the piss' out of Pauline Hanson with his pro-halal snack packs.
I bet it's not the first time he's done something shady.
Who else is involved in 'pay for play'?
What a lowlife sack of crap.

For that, your a traitor to the nation and should face a firing squad, along with anyone else that wants to pull some dirty scam ripping off Australian workers.

I told you all numerous times.
1. Build a prison for politicians for when they do the wrong thing.
2. Theres no such thing as democracy in our country.
- If they make the rules for us we should make the rules for them.

And I told you again and again that it wouldn't stop with free helicopter rides and when it happens again WE would all be to blame for doing nothing.
Well its not me anymore, it's just all of you.

The Chinese can do whatever they want in their own homes, but they can't expect to celebrate Mao openly on our streets. Sorry, this isn't China, no matter how much of it they purchase.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 9 September 2016 10:10:34 AM
What a stupid question! Mao was a murdering mongrel. The people 'honouring' him in Australia are idiots who do not belong in a democracy. Their presence here is just another example of the stupidity of multiculturalism.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 9 September 2016 10:42:21 AM
I just don't see a we here Peter, just a them! As for whether chinese folk from wherever want to do?

It remains a case of one man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist, and the victors in any conflict are the ones who write history?

In which case those who feel a historical or ethnic link can please themselves, on whether he Mao Zedong is hero or villain, or both!? I'm not bothered! It's freedom of speech and belief, isn't it?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 9 September 2016 10:44:25 AM
Of course it is inappropriate, even inflammatory, within Australia's borders, to celebrate Mao's death in 1976.

He led a state that was Australia's enemy:

- Australians fought Mao's Chinese troops in Korea, 1950s.

- Australian's fought Mao inspired Chinese insurgents in Malaya, 1948-1960.

- from 1960s to 1972 Australians fought, Mao's China supported North Vietnamese troops and Communist Vietcong insurgents. Those Vietnamese were supported with Chinese weapons, training and advisors.

Even mainland Chinese have mixed feeling about Mao appalling human rights record, including the millions he killed. Mao believed a mega-death purge every 10-20 years cleansed Chinese society. So:

- In 1957, Mao launched the "Great Leap Forward" campaign that aimed to rapidly transform China's economy from an agrarian economy to an industrial one. The campaign contributed to a widespread famine, whose death toll is estimated at between 15 and 45 million Chinese. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao_Zedong

- Mao's "Cultural Revolution" also killed millions and led to huge misery http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Revolution#Struggle_sessions.2C_purges.2C_and_deaths

Chinese agents in Australia, be they in the ALP or elsewhere, have no reason to celebrate Mao, even if China is paying them.
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 9 September 2016 4:39:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy