The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Afghanistan quagmire: time for an exit strategy > Comments

The Afghanistan quagmire: time for an exit strategy : Comments

By Alon Ben-Meir, published 5/8/2016

The president, however, did not spell out what success actually means. If he meant that Afghanistan will eventually become a stable and functioning democracy, he is fundamentally mistaken.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The Western world should disconnect from the Islamic world totally; ignore it, let it trash itself to death in in its own way.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 5 August 2016 10:35:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
We are at war with extreme stone age fundamentalism! And are left with just two stark choices, defeat it by any and all means, or be swamped by it and be driven right back to the medieval dark ages.

We need to stay the course, just as we did in Germany or Japan, with an occupying force that protects a home grown emerging democracy, at least until it's thoroughly inculcated into the emerging generations and part of an accepted normality!

And it has to be an iron hand in a velvet glove, still carrying a very big stick! A show of weakness or lack of resolve at this time, can only mean we will need to go back and sacrifice more lives and treasure than what we would by just staying the course and seeing the job done!

WE only fool ourselves if we think there's another option or appeasement; or that we can buy a fortuitous result or give up fundamental freedom, for peace in our time!

There has to be a NATO initiative that Russia can observe, as a thus far and no further, counter offensive and saltatory lesson?

Me, I'd go for a shock and awe surge, followed by a summer campaign that sealed the border with Northern Pakistan, with a few tactical low yield, Short term,(neutron bombs) nuclear weapons, assisted by perpetually patrolling drones; that literally meant those crossing those borders with evil intent, (most of the current problem) would be held up in or forced into an extended stay in extremely hot territory? [But given the technology deployed, safe to reenter for short timed periods, in as soon as six months]

And therefore, given the consequences of illegally crossing a common border, the miscreants made too sick to fight, and the only ones justifiably paying the ultimate price?

A perpetually protesting Pakistan, also part of the pernicious problem, contributed to by our lack of resolve, can like it or lump it? Thus far and no further!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 5 August 2016 11:27:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In 1978 I passed through Afghanistan from west to east, and, whilst I thought it was a lovely country with friendly inhabitants, it was still in what I imagined the 15th century to be.
I suspect it still is.
Posted by ateday, Friday, 5 August 2016 1:29:18 PM
I can't find the part where the US pays Afghanistan for the cost of illegally attacking Afghanistan.

While the war cost the US nearly $1 trillion, the cost to the people of Afghanistan is likely to be much higher.

And this becomes a compensation cost that is paid by the public of america to the public of Afghanistan.

This could be $10 trillion or $100 trillion or $1000 trillion. When the amount is so great it would be difficult to estimate.

The american public has to pay these compensation costs for not having any control over their politicians, their CIA and their military-industrial complex.

And for allowing their politicians, their CIA and their military-industrial complex to go to war whenever they want.
Posted by interactive, Friday, 5 August 2016 5:03:56 PM
Yes the US (that will decide when Australia withraws from Afgh) needs to understand that the lawless, fragmented, nature of Afgh is a constant:

- not since the Russians pulled out in the 1980s

- but since the Brits pulled out in the 1880s

not to mention after Macedonians pulled out, not under ISAF, but a little before - in 300 BC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan#Pre-Islamic_period

No US concept of nationalist Western democracy will alter Afgh's 1,000s of years of tribal anarchy.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 5 August 2016 6:08:20 PM
And.. The Afghans continue the defeat of their endless enemy advances!
Good, then we can be assured of a loss here then?

Who will be the next "enemy invader", the Russians or Chinese. I suspect the latter, with a cheque book: A successful strategy well practiced, with its bloodless defeat of Australia.?
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 8 August 2016 7:43:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy