The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia’s IR policy favours bosses > Comments

Australia’s IR policy favours bosses : Comments

By Jim McDonald, published 13/9/2005

Jim McDonald argues 'freedom of choice' in industrial relations favours employers not employees.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Of course it does! It is desigened to do just that. Because as the well off get weller off - the rest of us reap the benefits.
And all this tish tosh about power relationships and the failure of the legislation to recognise the dynamics of aforesaid social science mumbo jumbo - the legislation is purposeful, deliberate and targetted; it is essentially an exercise in ideology sweetened by a sense of revenge.

Sooner or later people will wake up to this freedom of choice drivel. And many will wake up and smell the coffee. But it will be the managers coffee or the CEO's coffee or that of the CEO's Personal Assistant with the personally pert behind - it wont be yours because coffee and the attendant breaks were left out of the AWA.

Freedom of choice be damned - would you like ot be shot with or without the blind fold - now there's a choice for you.
Posted by sneekeepete, Tuesday, 13 September 2005 2:49:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Jim,

Really enjoyed your article.

Couple of comments, BUT mainly questions !!

One hears the Government and Business/Management; so often use the phrase: “Increased Workplace Flexibility” .

"Increased Workplace Flexibility" is used so frequently in reference to what the Government and Business state they desire to achieve through their mooted Industrial Relations changes.

In your view Jim, why does the government so frequently use this phrase: “Increased Workplace Flexibility” ? What does The Government hope to exactly hope to achieve when they say they desire to INCREASE Workplace Flexibility ? Why, in your view Jim, is “ Increased Workplace Flexibility” the recurrent and dominant motif ?

Is it a mantra used with multiple meanings ? Is "Increased Workplace Flexibility" really just a 'Don Watson weasel word' or phrase ?

Is .... “Increased Workplace Flexibility” -- just really political or economic ‘Code’ for something else ? How & why, in your view Jim, is the Government’s political and economic ideology, so in synchronization ….. with “Increased Workplace Flexibility” as their desired outcome, seemingly as a Goal, above all others ?

The significance and repeated frequency,with which this phrase, “Increased Workplace Flexibility” seems to have, in most of the government's proposed Workplace Reform marketing, informational literature, and printed advertising, has frankly intrigued me.

Is their a link to: "Increased Workplace Flexibility": and the government's proposed IR changes, and in particular the government's stated objective, to further emphasize the centrality of AWA’s in the Workplace?

Is "Increased Workplace Flexibility" code for a move, as much as is possible by the Goverrnment,away from Collectivized Union Based, negotiations regarding an Employees, terms, wages and conditions in exchange for her/his work perhaps?

Any thoughts or ideas Jim?

Jim, I would be much obliged and grateful to hear your thoughts and ideas, in response to my questions, if that is not too much trouble.

Kind Regards,

Robbo
Posted by Robbo, Tuesday, 13 September 2005 9:49:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I work for a large US based company. In my office all the staff do the same kind of work. There is a 53,000 dollar difference in the highest paid to the lowest. And it has little to do with the quality of the staff's work. It's all about how well they can negotiate. I've got no debits, no kids and I am prepared to travel to find work. So I can tell HR to shove it if I don’t like my salary review. A coworker with large debits, three kids cannot so he gets less then I do. This has been the case in the white collar world for a while the Gov want the blue collar world to be like this too.
Posted by Kenny, Wednesday, 14 September 2005 9:48:53 AM
Kenny,if you don't like it,have a lobotomy and get a Govt job or even better, start up your own business.Guess what,it sounds all too hard because you'd have to deal with people like yourself.

Unfair dismissal laws would work if the judiciary were less biased towards the employer.The employer is generally guilty until proven innocent.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 15 September 2005 10:16:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What in everyone's Opinion, will Be:

The most significant Five(5) most Major Impacts; (note I ask --Impacts--, not --features--; of the Government's stated, and Newly to be introduced, and revised .

Australian Workplace Agreements or AWA s ?

Very Interested to hear what are folk's Opinions and/or
everyone's views, prediciotns and feedback ?

Interested both in people's predictions as to what will be the Short Term and Lomg Term Impact of AWA s on Society Generally in terms of Increasing or Decreasing Australian Wage disparities/Inequality; and what AWA changes may, or may not do, for employees terms and condiditions, of employment and to the framework of Australian's WorkPlaces, and to The Australian Workplace Landscape more generally ?

For example, will it effect the morale and motivation, of Australian employees, in their attitude to their work ?

Kind Regards,

Robbo
Posted by Robbo, Friday, 16 September 2005 2:02:06 PM
Geez sounds like a bunch of liberal butt kissers in here.

Labor are no better.

The greens are Wimps.

The Democrats sold Australia out with the GST.

The National Party Ride on the Libs Back and look for crumbs at the end of the day.

I reckon we could of restored Australia's health system with all the money we have thrown to Indonesia and other country's.

I mean clean our own backyard before we try to clean others.

I don't care if someone is wealthy and they deserve it if they worked hard for it ( Good on them ). BUT Every Australian in this day and age deserve the right to a meal on their table, Decent Education< To be clothed, And the right to save money without rediculous Taxes above and beyond GST.

Mates the way fuel is it wont be worth travelling to work as all my freaking money is paying for me to get their and back after Family and home expenses with wife and kids.

And now workplace Reforms "Oh Yeh Woohoo" ( I was being sarcastic ).

I mean I talk to all my rich mates and lower income and they all agree the Economy does Squat for them personally.
They just want a fair wage, good conditions, to be able to save, go out for a dinner or two, and have a VB on the weekend without searching the car for change.

Its heartless that it is getting harder just to have those basic things.

Regards Raver
Posted by Raver, Monday, 10 October 2005 9:52:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy