The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mental illness is not a fashion accessory > Comments

Mental illness is not a fashion accessory : Comments

By Pauline Hopkins, published 1/7/2016

The stories of mental illness you will never read about are not blips on the path to fame but debilitating complicated lifelong illnesses.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Good article making some valid points. It has almost become trendy to suffer from some mental illness. The reality of course is that misery and anxiety are Just a normal part of the human condition.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Friday, 1 July 2016 4:11:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The problem with psychologist types (almost all 50 something, middle-class, females, like the author) with tendencies to label medications as part of the problem is - what are are alternative strategies?

Often psychologists, are part-time and/or travelling through, so can only give intermittent care. Too many psychologists are soft-left activists politically crusading against the LNP voting psychiatric/medication establishment.

Many psychologists choose to forget medications are much longer term (hence a constant stabiliser) and far cheaper than the (mostly non-Medicare covered) overly-expensive sessions with psychologists.

For a life-long problem 10 government paid sessions with a psychologist present no life-long solution, by themselves.

Those 10 sessions As Well As relying on medications probably give much more life long mental stability for people with chronic mental illnesses.
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 3 July 2016 2:19:32 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is obvious that since secular humanism became the religion to 'freedom' that rates of mental illness has increased dramatically. While much of it is complex it is obvious that issues such as multiple soul ties as a result of immorality promoted by secularist have added greatly to the rates of suicide and mental health. No wonder little progress can be made because to many hard questions need to be asked about a very warped ideology embraced by much of the Western world. The further away society has got away from Christian principles the greater the issues. Of course selfish individuals don't care as long as they have there ' freedom' .
Posted by runner, Monday, 4 July 2016 5:38:11 PM
I wrote about my experience with the Mental Health Service in my autobiography 'Shadows over the Sun'. A number of mental illnesses - caused by trauma can be cured when the CAUSE is erased. The cause - if not known, can be found with hypnosis. If the patient suffers from an inferiority complex, he may need support to overcome it.

Unfortunately the medical profession treats the symptoms of an illness instead of finding and treating the cause. Treating the symptoms does not lead to a cure. That is why doctors believe the illness is incurable, which gives them a lifelong patient and income.

I have been cured from so called bipolar disorder after 38 years and am off my medication for nearly 10 months and lead an active happy life.
Giselle
Posted by Giselle, Sunday, 10 July 2016 5:42:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy