The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lessons for Australia's political class from Donald Trump > Comments

Lessons for Australia's political class from Donald Trump : Comments

By Alan Berman and Glen Anderson, published 17/3/2016

His tirades against the political establishment have struck an undeniable chord with voters who have become disillusioned with the steady erosion of the American middle class.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I just don't think the Trump phenomena could be repeated here? We've already had our pauline hanson and the railing against the entrenched political establishment, and the diminution of our rights/conferred privileges.

The difference here, a very powerful political establishment was able to imprison her on manifestly Trumped up charges, no pun intended. Thereby permanently wounding her and her political message? And no phenix rising in a political rebirth from the ashes.

That said, the (dithering) pseudo caretaker persona of our current P.M. (who seems more concerned with self interest issues?) is not improving the coalitions reelection prospects.

And should be replaced ASAP with a real caretaker government, brought forward with a decisive D.D. Win the election and gain a mandate to do what you will with (tax avoidance)negative gearing, capital gains tax, high end super and tax haven family trusts; and compensating backpacker punitive tax!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 17 March 2016 9:22:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This happens every time there is a race for the white house. The candidates have to appeal to the base of the party to get the nomination and then realign themselves to the center to win the election.

I repeat this happens at every US election.

It happens here too, but in a very much smaller way because we have only recently playing with idea of party members voting for candidates.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Thursday, 17 March 2016 10:54:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The political elites in America and Australia - possibly in the entire Western world - have set themselves up in the leftist, PC world, irrespective of what they call themselves. Their only aim has been to gain power; they don't care about what the mass of an apolitical public wants. That is why we have two parties in Australia with little difference between them. This is the case more than ever with a Leftist leading the Liberals. The die-hards will continue to support the parties mummy and daddy did, but the number of swinger voters will rise and, now that they have real alternative, they will swing. We don't have a politician with the personality and drive ofTrump: our politicians have none of these two attributes at all. We have to start thinking for ourselves. While I have no time for Shorten and Labor philosophy, I will vote for the sitting Labor member in my electorate, and the ALA in the Senate in the hope of getting rid of Turnbull even if it means enduring Labor for 3 years after the election. We must have a clear and proper space betwee parties in a two party system, otherwise we are just like China.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 17 March 2016 12:06:36 PM
Yep, when I heard Trump was running my first thought was, not that clown. However I now see him as the only white knight the west possesses, & about our only hope. Obama followed by Hillary would just about finish the west.

I have the feeling that the Liberals that engineered Turnbull's rise to power are in for a huge shock come vote counting time. I have a Liberal member, who is not a bad member, but he has no chance of my vote, or those of most of my acquaintances, all of whom are conservative, as long as Turnbull leads the party.

Alan & Glen, I suggest you don't become too comfortable. Most of us are just as sick of the legal profession, as we are of political elites. The two are barely distinguishable in most eyes.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 18 March 2016 4:41:25 PM
Rhostry
I'm not sure the Gst is dead yet.

I think they may have taken it off the table until after the election.

Then it s quite possible it will be reintroduced and passed without
Too much trouble by the opposition,(labour or liberal
Who will make appropriate hostile noises for the public benefit
But when it comes to the vote will pass it.
Posted by CHERFUL, Saturday, 19 March 2016 12:08:54 PM
Trump is appealing to the masses because he
Is promising to restore America to an earlier time in
It's history.

When it was a wealthy prosperous, nation
who held the dream of a good life for all who aspired to
Work hard . Americans believed
they could change the world with civil rights
And Hippy love and peace values.

People have become evermore jittery as they
see Western countries being torn apart by these
Ideas,by groups who want to tear down and take,
insted of becoming part of the nation.

Plus the wealthy, who aid and abet these groups
by shafting Western countries tax wise and employment wise.
And who can blame them? None of us is too keen to make
less money.
How does anyoNe tackle globalisation.?

The United Nations and porous borders
has also been an economic disaster for the West
With these billion dollar wars.

Can Donald trump really change all this?
Anyone can say they will.
People are voting for lost America, but can it be restored so easily.

One thing that can be said of Putin, he puts Russian interests first.
Posted by CHERFUL, Saturday, 19 March 2016 12:33:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy