The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A person's a person, no matter how small > Comments

A person's a person, no matter how small : Comments

By Bernard Toutounji, published 10/3/2016

Alternatively, what if Jane and I decided to go away for the weekend and we left Louise crawling around on the lounge room floor.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
*the words "Disgusting and evil" were not mine. They were used by Yabby to describe people who disagree with abortion.*

Rhys Jones, I said no such thing, you are confusing posters here.

The thing is, you are trying to confer the rights which we give to people, which have human brains, to a human organism which as yet has no such thing. Now our laboratories are full of embryos in the freezer, are they all to be given the rights of a person? Is it murder to dispose of them?

I don't think that you have thought this through very well, for the law of unintended consequences is never far away.

Once again, an organism without a human brain, is not a person. Only a mother, who is responsible for that organism, can decide what happens to it and the consequences on her life. Forcing her on a pension to raise it, even if she does not want it, is hardly a great option. The world is full of babies looking to be adopted, for those parents who choose to do so.

At least you support better education and provision of family planning, on that we can agree.
Posted by Yabby, Friday, 11 March 2016 4:09:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"In that case we should be able to kill children up to the age of at least four or five years old."

Yeah!
I can think of many cases where it would be more humane to "kill" a baby than let them live a short life of pain and misery.
Sad I know and no one should be "forced" to do such a thing but the choice should be there and it should carry no stigma.
The same as abortion, and euthanasia for that matter, should carry no stigma.

It is none of our business and we should keep the hell out of other peoples lives.
Posted by mikk, Friday, 11 March 2016 6:32:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh and I did not use "Disgusting and evil" to describe people who disagree with abortion.

I used it in reference to the original poster of this article and his misguided attempt to (ab)use his own children to further his anti-abortion propaganda. His "musings" on what would befall his daughters, their tears and eventual deaths. Spelled out in graphic detail were utterly sickening. I wanted to vomit. How could you imagine your own children suffering such things?

And to equate that with abortion!
Like I said Disgusting and evil.
Posted by mikk, Friday, 11 March 2016 6:49:00 PM
Rhys Jones, I would absolutely love to see a world where there were no abortions attended at all. As long as the reason for this was due to very effective contraception and family planning, and not due to forcing women to go through with unwanted pregnancies.
Maybe the answer is to find an effective long-lasting contraceptive method for males who don't want to impregnate anyone? Why is it always the woman's 'fault'?
I would suggest that maybe the single men should keep it in their pants, or wear condoms at all times, unless they are out to make babies. Why not?

You say there should be no reason why women should abort their babies these days, but yet it still happens on a grand scale? Obviously neither the illegal or legal abortion availability has changed parent's minds about wanting an abortion.
So more effective contraception, maybe free contraception, may be the answer.
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 11 March 2016 8:57:11 PM
Dear Yabby, My apologies for attributing that post to you.
As far as embryos in a freezer go, those embryos will never develop into a person unless someone takes the extraordinary action of implanting them into someone’s uterus.
I make no claim that we are obliged to have as many children as humanly possible. I merely state that it is wrong to intentionally kill a child, which if left to its own devices would in all probability enjoy a life much like the one you and I enjoy.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Monday, 14 March 2016 10:28:14 AM
Dear Suseonline,
The reason it happens on a "grand scale" is because as a society we don't value the life of the unborn. Instead we say "its every woman’s right to decide what to do with her own body". Once we start valuing that life, the abortion rate will drop away, at least in Australia.
As long as we frame the issue entirely as a woman’s rights issue then we will continue to kill tens of thousands of unborn babies each year.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Monday, 14 March 2016 10:32:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy