The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our media are a national tragedy > Comments

Our media are a national tragedy : Comments

By Peter West, published 16/2/2016

Once upon a time, journalists reported what happened. This is far from true today. The media try to convert endless events into a kind of opera.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Yes there was a time when the media recorded the news, now what we seem to see are opinion pieces like this one clearly is, and aimed obliquely, you'll see,at the ABC and SBS?

And just what you expect when editorial independence is replaced by amalgamated promulgation and too much control exercised by too few! Or kingmakers?

Other than the unfair and unreasonable patently biased attack on a still independant Aunty and her trying to please everybody, nephew, the article seems to hit the nail on the head?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 8:02:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a good summation of what seems to drive today's media which thrives on the general reluctance of people to question what they are told.
Note I say "told", as opposed to what they learn.

Audiences become dumbed down because they allow that to happen.
Journalists and their media become pace-setters by default in a society that is often overwhelmed by information without the compensation of time to think clearly.

Just as fashion dictates conformity, so does media "authority", turning us from thinkers to thankers.
Posted by Ponder, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 8:16:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some unsupported contentions and strawmen in this one. eg:

"Once upon a time, journalists reported what happened."

Even in pre-TV days news was concocted by press release, speech, parliamentary broadcasts and interviews. True about Social Media.

But a lament. Oh where are you now James Dibble, ABC? https://youtu.be/eZJkTCXEG8I

Those were the days my friend
Report them to the end
News and weather
Forever and a day...

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 8:35:41 AM
I have been a journalist for 38 years and counting, most of it in the metros, and although what the author says is quite true none of it is new. All of it was evident when I was a trainee in the 1970s and, from what I know of newspaper history, was part and parcel of newspapers long before that.

It may have gotten worse in some publications in the last few years because of competition from blogs and online sites. Newspapers are desperate from readers. They are also desperate for advertising. Its hard times..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 9:29:25 AM
Fair diagnosis, wrong solution, “We urgently need more feedback from the public”. Already “news” is recycled from iphones, with only rarely the caveat “unconfirmed”.
Posted by Leslie, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 11:42:19 AM
Thanks to Dr Peter West for an excellent article.

Timely too when Mark Scott, the outgoing Managing Director, ABC, has questioned the substantial duplication between the ABC and the SBS. Mr Scott has asked whether Australia still needs two public broadcasters.

Mr Scott could have gone much further to reflect on the taxpayer supported ABC and SBS dominating the market generally. They are the very large, spoon-fed and privileged adult Cuckoos still in the nest, making it impossible for example for small local broadcasters to enter and survive in the market.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 16 February 2016 5:23:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy