The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Should people be denied ‘choices’ at the end-of-life? > Comments

Should people be denied ‘choices’ at the end-of-life? : Comments

By Paul Russell, published 29/1/2016

When parts of the Australian media recently applauded the double suicide of a well-travelled, well-educated Melbourne couple who were not ill but simply growing old, I think we all need to stop and wonder where this is all going.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Yes Paul. a quarter of a century ago my life was irreparably changed, by multiple spine fractures, which cost me my career. my love life, my marriage and my family!

Multiple spinal surgery, bone grafts and permanent metal reinforcing; and a few years later and after what some would describe as heroic rehab. My life returned to close to normal my mobility partially restored and pain free! And I still had my mental agility, but due to my history remained unemployable in any capacity!

Even so and due to my training as both a medic and paramedic, it was my privilege and pleasure to care for my aging mom in the last ten years of her life.

Some years after we buried mom, [Who paid a visit three days after she died,] I fell and broke my femur high up at the neck.

Even with intensive rehab the bones refused to knit.

although they eventually did with a very different self managed approach, that included radical bed rest.

Which is the likely source of the DVT's that then became multiple PE's and unbelievable pain at least ten times worse than in any other previous experience.

I followed that with a stroke where I opened death's door and looked into the face of evil incarnate, who it seems, offered me a deal where I could have it all, for an extremely high price!

Not for me! We all have our dreams and wishes and a means to realize them? I still hope for mine, God willing.

I have lived through some terrifying experiences in my life, but this far and away topped them all. I can't say for sure and certain that this wasn't the hallucinations of an damaged brain or real at some level, either answer is possible.

That for me permanently rules out assisted suicide, but never a living will and your last expressed wishes honored inside the current law.

We simply can't embark on the same slippery slope as Canada or Belgium, Albeit the privileged remain free to travel!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 29 January 2016 8:59:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course people should be allowed to end their lives when they wish to. The current law against euthanasia is clear proof of arrogant Australian politicians' mania for control over everything and everyone.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 29 January 2016 9:40:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Such arrogance! He doesn't think other people should have a choice because he declares such a choice illegitimate. He slants the piece to make it seem as only a minority of fortunate people want such a choice. If Paul Russell wants to continue his life no matter how much pain and suffering he is undergoing he is free to do so. If others wish to end their pain and suffering or just end their life because they have had enough they should also be free to do so.
Posted by david f, Friday, 29 January 2016 10:01:34 AM
yep the abortion debate was all about the poor 14 year old girl who was raped and should not have to carry the rapist child. Now millions of murders later! Well how the heartless pulled on the naive and ignorance of the general public. Now they tell us that its about compassion, dignity for the dying. Believe that you are likely to be naive enough to believe in man made gw.
Posted by runner, Friday, 29 January 2016 4:27:14 PM
//yep the abortion debate was all about the poor 14 year old girl who was raped and should not have to carry the rapist child. Now millions of murders later! Well how the heartless pulled on the naive and ignorance of the general public. Now they tell us that its about compassion, dignity for the dying. Believe that you are likely to be naive enough to believe in man made gw.//

Runner, this thread is not about abortion, nor is it about climate change. If you want to make a contribution about the actual topic of this thread - euthanasia - then I would love to hear your opinions on the subject. If you want to talk about other topics, it might be more appropriate to comment in other threads or start some of your own.

Now back to the topic.

Paul, the people pushing for voluntary euthanasia/assisted suicide want it to be permissible, not compulsory. If you want to live as long as you possibly can, good on you. You're not alone, by the way. Even in the face of agonising pain and extreme disability, it is not unusual for patients in States with voluntary euthanasia to choose to live as long as they can - the human will to survive is a basic and powerful emotion which can drive people to perform near super-human feats.

But if other people don't share your view, what harm does it do allow them the option of euthanasia/assisted suicide? It won't be mandatory - you can live out your days naturally as your God intended. And it certainly won't be some quasi-'Logan's Run' scenario where wicked doctors stalk the halls of aged care facilities trying to convince geriatrics that they're a burden on society and that they should suicide.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Friday, 29 January 2016 4:58:28 PM
Toni
even you have enough brains to see the parallels in the arguements being put forward.
Posted by runner, Friday, 29 January 2016 5:22:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy