The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Indigenous population growth: have we had it wrong all this time? > Comments

Indigenous population growth: have we had it wrong all this time? : Comments

By Joe Lane, published 19/1/2016

Have there always been more Aboriginal Australians than earlier censuses counted?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Indigenous people have been counted in every Commonwealth Census, since the first one in 1911 recorded 19,939 of them. They were not counted for the purposes of allocating seats in the House of Representatives, but that was not the census. Paradoxically, this section of the Constitution prevented states like Queensland, in which Aborigines did not have the vote, from getting more seats and states like Victoria, in which they did have the vote, from getting fewer.
Posted by Chris C, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 9:00:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The observations made in this article are close to the mark, though there are some additional explanations that are pertinent.

In my view there are serious defects in the way the ABS collects Indigenous population statistics.

Firstly the Indigenous census question is incomplete.

The question on the Census form only asks whether each person is of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander origin. It does not ask whether the person IDENTIFIES as indigenous, which is a key issue for persons of both Indigenous and non-Indigenous origin. Consequently, the question will tend to enumerate all persons of Indigenous origin irrespective of their actual identity despite the fact that we officially have an official definition of Indigenous, that requires such persons to be of Indigenous origin, Identify as indigenous and be recognised as such by the community.

The actual Census question changed twice before 1986. This had some effect on the Census counts.

There is also a big issue related to inter-marriage because the majority of the Indigenous population have non-Indigenous partners with the vast majority of their children identifying as Indigenous. See http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03029475#page-1
Posted by Bren, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 9:10:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In my day admitting to having some aboriginal blood was considered shameful, and those mixed race kids were often ostracised. My father's mother had white hair and handsome features including high cheekbones; spent lots of time looking in the mirror and applying lots of white and pink powder. Moreover I never saw her go out without gloves.

She emphasised her scottish heritage with almost fanatical zeal. She played an accordion and new all the scottish tunes. My curly dark haired father learned to play the pipes and wear a kilt, a sporon and a glengarry in the traditional manner. Och aye the noo.

On my mother's side only Aunty Pat presented with any tell tale signs, such as fizzy hair, brown eyes and a nice tan. Her sister, Aunty Dot was a blue eyed blond with milky white skin. Uncle Dinny also had a nice tan. When I'm exposed to the sun parts, of me tan rapidly, first, and present as rather large freckles, while other parts burn.

I understand there's a confirming DNA test for aboriginality and or celtic heritage, and indeed all other races, given six degrees of difference throughout the entire human race!

And given the difficulty of recognizing aboriginality in mixed race folk, I would want their punery claims verified with a DNA test if they want to claim aboriginality or any associated claimed benefit.

In American indian culture, those with less than 25% indian blood are not recognised as indian, but rather as white or spanish or whatever. And given established precedent something we could should follow?

And yes, given the prevailing attitudes and often quite hostile discrimination on all sides, black and white! It would come as no surprise to have it confirmed, we got it so very wrong?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 9:13:59 AM
The 'increase' is most likely due to the fact that anyone who 'idenifies' as aboriginal these days can be one. Dad, a white man with four different ethnic - backgrounds, all white, and Mum, is perhaps quarter aboriginal, and voila, we have another welfare-seeking 'aborigine'.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 9:16:56 AM
Yep!

These figures tell us when it became advantageous to be from a "disadvantaged" group, such as aboriginal.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 11:39:35 AM
ttn: The 'increase' is most likely due to the fact that anyone who 'idenifies' as aboriginal these days can be one. Dad, a white man with four different ethnic - backgrounds, all white, and Mum, is perhaps quarter aboriginal, and voila, we have another welfare-seeking 'aborigine'.

Yes, one of my distant cousins did it. He divorced his wife of many years. A beautiful & very intelligent woman. He married the skinniest, drunkest ugly little Aboriginal woman you ever saw. An absolute sensation in the Townsville Mall. He then identified as an Aboriginal. He got one of these "Housing Loans at about 3% interest & a new car at Aboriginal Interest & never made any payments. They were paid by Aboriginal & Islander Affairs. All he had to do was keep up a supply of Goonies to his new relatives.

We worked in the Railways together & he often used to joke about it. Working a loop hole? Fair enough.
Posted by Jayb, Tuesday, 19 January 2016 1:14:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy