The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > America's policy mistakes give Islamic State big breaks > Comments

America's policy mistakes give Islamic State big breaks : Comments

By David Singer, published 28/9/2015

America's ongoing insistence on wanting Syria's President, Bashar al-Assad, removed from power continues to hinder American policy on removing Islamic State.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
David, I must admit that on most occasions I don't agree with what you have to say, but this time, I am in complete agreement. You are right on the money. There is absolutely no point in the Yanks and the Ruskis waging a defacto war in Syria. The whole place seems to have been reduced to rubble and people will have absolutely nothing to go home to if something doesn't change.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 28 September 2015 11:52:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah same.
I don't usually agree with David either but I will on this topic.
I note the author said the same thing just over 2 years ago to the day.

http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=15506
http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=15479

You ALL do realise that in hindsight we've all been taken for a BIG RIDE.

Just stop for a second and envisage the complete devastation that has been caused in the last decade or so.

I mean seriously after Libya did anyone really think pushing for regime change helps any of these countries at all? REALLY?

There were no WMD's in IRAQ
The Arab Spring was a lie.

All US policy has done has turned these nations into complete sh*tholes (sorry I really cant find a more appropriate word) where there is no government infrastructure left, and they are havens FOR TERRORISM.

I don't know if US policy acts for Israel wanting to remove nations who support the Palestinians and/or Hezbollah and the supply of arms from Iran or it's got to do with US relationship with Saudi Arabia and or oil pipelines into Europe, or whether its just the US acting as a superpower to undermine Russia in general, take the oil crisis and sanctions against Russia as examples.

But our nation supported it. All this.
The only reason they've changed their tune recently is because they are now faced with the realisation that Russia holds all the cards and they cant win.
-China's also sending its military to shore up Assad now.

How did western powers think China would act after the US's own strong-arming tactics against China in the South China Sea?

Clearly its time the world stopped all this folly.
How many people are homeless or dead or orphaned because of it all?

Another point to note is that Russia has to act because ISIS is selling oil cheap (as well as the Saudis) and this is undermining their economy.

Europe has been bum-rushed by refugees and its all their own fault (EU governments) as well for supporting the mess.

US policy is foolish but we're even worse for following along.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 28 September 2015 1:30:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's breathtaking really, the gall of the Singer.

Here he is, a vocal supporter of the terrorist nation of Israel (which regularly carries out war crimes on the Palestinians, steals their land, burns them in their homes, shoots their children in the head as they play, grabs their kids in the night and tortures them, demolishes their homes and towns, starves them, denies them medicines, etc) daring to heap condemnation on Islamic State.

It's called hypocrisy, Singer!
Posted by David G, Monday, 28 September 2015 2:23:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here's an interesting point of view.

So Assad will stay on indefinitely.
What happens if Assad says you all took part in supporting the destruction of my nation and I want reparations.
What happens then?
Will Australians be asked to pay Syrian reparations for what our government supported?
The war against him and his removal from power?

David Cameron says Assad should face a criminal court.
What if Assad says YOU ALL should go to the criminal court for seeing weapons fall into the hands of ISIS and for making war against my nation?

Interesting situation we have with Assad now staying and the West are forced to work with him and Russia to defeat Islamic State.
Even the Chinese got an invite and now have their carrier in Tartus.

The US lead coalition comes out of this looking like a bunch of incompetent retards with some blame for creating the mess I'm sorry to say.

Europe will almost have to support an end to the Russian sanctions for Crimea and everything the US tried to do has blown up in their face.

Why on earth would we support the US anymore?

And the problem with taking the refugees is this:
We may have a moral obligation as we supported actions in Syria.
But how are the Syrian refugees going to feel about us when we supported the destruction of their nation?
Think about it.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 28 September 2015 3:40:39 PM
Armchair Critic,

>>US policy is foolish but we're even worse for following along.<<

This is certainly true especially if the “we” are Europeans. (Written from Germany suffering from the tsunami of refugees and pseudorefugees.)
Posted by George, Tuesday, 29 September 2015 6:31:53 AM
Armchair Critic-<But how are the Syrian refugees going to feel about us when we supported the destruction of their nation?>

The Syrian war was between Assad and the rebelling population.
It really had nothing to do with America or the West until
Isis got involved, because we were already fighting Isis.
And they then turned their Barbarity on the people of Syria
Using the war there, to further their territorial conquest.

I said on one of these sites very early in the piece, when Putin
refused to let America go in on the side of the rebels against Assad,
that America may find in the end, that Putin was reading the situation
more accurately than the West.

And Syria is also the home of the people around Assad, who support him.
As usual America looks at the side who seems to be the most military
dominant when these wars break out but the the other side is also just as guilty of causing the conflict. After all they were staging
big rebellions against Assad, and as we have seen in Europe you cant
drive big mobs back when they know you are too weak, or you have been
castrated by the United Nations so they can just walk in and take over.

It is actually the armchair critics
that contributed to the war we
now see in Iraq. Attitudes to war and trying to apply civilian law courts to a war event. The rules of engagement in wars are different to peace time civilian laws and if you try to fight abiding by these rules you will find yourself in the ridiculous situation America
and the West now find themselves in,fighting all the prisoners they let go,(because of the do-g00ders) all over again.
Posted by CHERFUL, Wednesday, 30 September 2015 12:16:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy