The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Lessons for history from an Australian prime minister > Comments

Lessons for history from an Australian prime minister : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 14/9/2015

This is a speculative essay. It asks why, in a modern democracy, Australia should elect a Prime Minister who is widely and internationally criticised as overly militaristic and not that caring of the welfare of its people.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. All
I suppose it is the knifing season. First Milne got the boot, then Abbott. It is a pity as he was by far the best PM in 8 years.

The only good part is that the entire labor union machine has been tearing down Abbott for 6 years and pumping up Turnbull, and now they have pinhead as an opposition leader.

I can see Shorten getting knifed before the next election especially after TURC names him as a crook unless Turnbull goes early for a DD.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 14 September 2015 10:25:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Turnbull has form in opposing climate change and supporting Australia becoming a republic.

However, he is also a fabulously wealthy career politician with an impeccable haircut and expensive suits. Hang on ... this reminds me of something. Oh, yes! Tony Blair circa 1997.

I'm happy for the odious Abbott to depart centre stage, but as for anything much else changing, I won't hold my breath.
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 14 September 2015 11:09:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am happy to see Turnbull as PM.....YAY!

His speech tonight was wonderfully eloquent, and I will not feel embarrassed listening to Abbott trying to give speeches while umming and ahhing on the international stage again.

Abbott has had a lesson in history...listen to the people, not himself.
I wish him luck in his next life.
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 14 September 2015 11:21:16 PM
Dear Suse,

I also watched Mr Turnbull's speech and that
of Julie Bishop. I loved the fact that they
referred to Sir Robert Menzies - and wanting
to go back to the ideals that Sir Robert stood
for. That gave me hope. Overall - I could not
help but notice already the big difference
in Mr Turnbull's attitude - one of hope and excitement in
Australia's future as compared to the dim and
dark fear-mongering of Mr Abbott.
Quite a contrast.

I wish Mr Abbott and his family well.
But I am relieved that he's no longer our PM.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 14 September 2015 11:28:01 PM
Yes Foxy, you and I have discussed this possibility many times on this forum, so I really think we must have had some ESP, don't you? I am delighted.
Even Julie Bishop couldn't stop smiling, and she doesn't smile easily : )
Posted by Suseonline, Monday, 14 September 2015 11:42:37 PM
Suse and Foxy

Julie Bishop is an unashamed pro-Israel, pro-Palestinian occupation supporter. She also blatantly supports bombing recalcitrant countries into regime change.

If she was smiling during her photo-ops, it may well be because she knows that Turnbull will pose no threat whatsoever to her steadfast belief that Australian foreign policy is all about destroying countries into complying with the Washington consensus.
Posted by Killarney, Tuesday, 15 September 2015 12:38:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 10
  12. 11