The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is the 'ice epidemic' a media myth? A Northern Territory perspective > Comments

Is the 'ice epidemic' a media myth? A Northern Territory perspective : Comments

By Richard Midford, Matt Stevens and Jennifer Buckley, published 3/9/2015

Even taking account of this increased preference for methamphetamine in the form of Ice, only about 1% of the population used it in the past 12 months.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Even though I'm not a statistician, I can appreciate the value of self-reporting: it's a relief that only a quarter of a million Australians used methamphetamines in the last twelve months. I'm a bit puzzled though, where the 2 % (or half a million people) went between those had ever used them at sometime in their lives in the 2004 stats (9% of us) and those who had ever used them in their lives in the 2007, 2010 and 2013 stats (only 7%, or one and a half million of us).

I'm also relieved that, due to the efficacy of self-reporting, one can infer that it is fairly certain that people out in the remote settlements in the NT demonstrate very low use of methamphetamines. On these criteria, I expect that, the more remote a settlement, the less use is being made of methamphetamines. Good to know !

Congratulations,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 3 September 2015 10:17:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Only" 1%. That's trivializing the fact that it means there are still a hell of a lot dangerous lunatics out the streets! But what else can we expect from these academic types who probably don't get out on street, expect to protest about everything.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 3 September 2015 11:36:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The "Ice" epidemic is no myth. It is in fact one of our society`s greatest threats.
There are "Statistics" and there are facts. "Statistics" are used to present a result favourable to the Statistician, (usually Government).
Facts are reality, seldom used, because the presenter is intent on offering a false set of figures for his or her own ultimate benefit.

It is now common scientific knowledge that "Ice" is a highly addictive
and brain-damaging drug of convenience, easily procured, with an evidential marker that is quickly expelled from the body in a very short period of time, (reputedly 24 hours), thus the tragically widespread use by many people who have "responsible" jobs, where drug detection methods can be applied prior to there starting a work-shift.

I have experienced the damage caused by Methemphetamines within my own family, but luckily spotted it before the damage was done, so I cannot stress enough the dangers to users, especially children!

I appeal to everyone to stop and think about the direction in which they are heading if they are a "user", because the usage results in rapid addiction, with physical and mental deterioration and unknown long term consequences.

Remember when people smoked "Grass" for the buzz, and chased better "Grass" for a better buzz, assuring non-users that it was simply to allow one to relax and get more enjoyment out of living in a stressful world?

Many of those "users" are now sampling "Ice" to get a better buzz out of life, disregarding the physical and mental risks to themselves, or others, who may become innocent victims when the inevitable mental breakdown occurs.

I am NOT a "user" and I never will be, but I appeal to everyone to take note of any strange psychotic occurrences affecting members of your family or friends,....investigate and talk seriously about any suspicions, before it is simply too late!
Posted by Crackcup, Thursday, 3 September 2015 11:48:22 AM
Agree Crackcup, and can only add any ice by any name is bad ice! And it can maim folk for life or failing that, kills people!

1 percent of 20 million people is 100,000 people, and far too many to be subject to this sort of she'll be right, it's not such a big problem, minimisation?

We need to keep the education campaign going to just prevent folks from ever becoming the customers of this evil addiction, which once has you by the throat, never releases its life altering grip!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 3 September 2015 12:02:13 PM
From a police point of view 'ICE' represents probably the most dangerous threat of all the illicit substances, ever ? While it was true, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) and other similar hallucinogenic substances, did provoke some very aggressive behaviour from it's users - ICE is far more dangerous to all those who have to interdict those under the effects of the substance.

And sadly it looks like it's here to stay and proliferate, such is it's popularity ? I can see many more coppers, ambo's and health care professionals getting seriously hurt as a consequence of this awful substance ?
Posted by o sung wu, Thursday, 3 September 2015 12:46:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was taken by the salient point of the author referencing the abysmal statistics relating to alcohol abuse, when compared to ice: (And i don't wish to downplay the menace of ice, and it's highly addictive outcome to users of the drug).

But what aspect of drug use and abuse should the community most concern itself with, the negative health aspects to the users, or the threat to the community from anti social behaviour as a consequence of drug use, for example? ( and there are many other negative effects).

I believe Governments are being forced to deal with the alcohol industry in ways that match community expectations. Ice hysteria is a distraction, planned or otherwise, to this progress!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 3 September 2015 1:47:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy