The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The limits to military power > Comments

The limits to military power : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 18/8/2015

Some favour Australia's military involvement as the price of our alliance with the US. I accept this, up to a point.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I can agree with most of this David and add, my preference is for complete military self sufficiency; based loosely on the Austrian never ever defeated model?

And that means we need to divest ourselves of conservative thinkers trying to emasculate that tax collection system that pays for it; just to advantage a privileged few?

For mine, the best way to beat now endemic tax avoidance costing the budget bottom line somewhere north of 60 billion; is to adopt a single, stand alone unavoidable system, which like an unavoidable but very modest expenditure tax; has the added benefit of making current avoidance schemes work exactly the opposite to the intended outcome!

And as the consequence collect a greater percentage from the avioders!

There's more than one battle of the bulge needing to be fought here?

It costs money to have a military and even more to deploy them!

The major problem with the Collins class submarines was simply manning them?

Perhaps we should bring back conscription for fixed terms, as an alternative to the dole; for home guard self defense/admin/logistical duties?

Thereby relieving three quarters of the current regular force for front line duties!

However, like you I believe the only amplification of our effort over there, is to rule out nothing in the way of essential airsupport!

Thus creating an essential no fly zone over Syria for Assard and his genocide with barrel bombs and such!

After that we should leave it to those folk with a very real vested self interest to put boots on the ground; and that has to include the most powerful militaries in the region, Israel and Turkey!

It really is a case for those folk standing shoulder to shoulder as a entirely, united we stand, military force, or divided we fall; fleeing rabble leaving most of their military hardware behind; to be used against them!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 18 August 2015 11:09:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Military contributions probably should rest with parliament, and not a government. But we should STAY OUT OF SYRIA as we should have stayed out of Iraq and Afghanistan. Our troops should be used no further from our own region, and then only in policing actions such as Timor etc. It's doubtful that we could defend ourselves if push came to shove - so slack are our politicians on defence spending - and we are certainly incapable of playing best buddy to the U.S. The Yanks haven't won anything since Vietnam (now that was certainly a stupid waste of life that that the Commos won anyway) and most of the fights they pick have nothing to do with Australia. All we get from these conflicts is more make-out refugees we can no longer keep in the manner they would like to be accustomed to.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 18 August 2015 11:39:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is a commended charitable activity to fight Daesh as well as Boko Haram, so it is should be funded by donations and manned by volunteer militias.

People who pay with their own money and blood can better tell when the effort is worthwhile and when it is futile, than governments who pay with other people's money and blood.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 18 August 2015 1:03:11 PM
I was going to poo poo you about your article till I read it though.
I found have to agree with you.
I would like to add to it by saying that the whole mess was brought about by the deranged cowboy who was running the US and used as a puppet by the oil companies through Cheney.
He with Blair and Howard should all be in the dock in the Hague for war crimes.
However the evil has been done and we should be staying right out of the mess now.
You are on the right track about the "parliamentary vote on foreign deployments of Australian soldiers".
This is a must because we too have a deranged cowboy of our own, just drooling to start a stouch over there .
Labour is following along like a lamb so I do not hold any hope for this.
Posted by Robert LePage, Tuesday, 18 August 2015 1:59:05 PM
All fairly predictable with the same limitations coming up.

The author's suggestion of a "a parliamentary vote on foreign deployments of Australian soldiers - if not beforehand then at the earliest opportunity thereafter." immediately runs into problems.

1. the Coalition-Labor dominated House of Reps would automatically rubber stamp foreign deployments (with minimal debate).

2. Coalition-Labor dominated Senate would automatically rubber stamp foreign deployments (with minimal debate).

Unlike the Independents and Greens those Parties that actually govern realise backing up the US is Australia's main foreign policy reality.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 18 August 2015 2:19:30 PM
Pete; Perhaps the French could've waited until the Nazis were marching into Paris or we waiting to get involved until the japanese were landing in Darwin, with boots on the ground?

There's a very good reason for executive power making these decisions; albeit, one needs the absolute power of Presidents to be limited by a parliamentary input after the event; and them forced to justify the action by actual events?

Say in a unity ticket wartime cabinet?

And where attack upon our sovereign land required immediate action; rather than an endless exchange/stalemate between the hawks and the doves?

I mean the horse designed by a committee is what gave us a camel?

The unending input and intervention by Gormless Politicians countermanding Generals, is what turned the action in Vietnam into a virtual rout; which cost more lives than WW11!

Keep the pollies out!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 18 August 2015 6:40:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy