The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don't waste words, write it down with a pen first > Comments

Don't waste words, write it down with a pen first : Comments

By Mark S. Lawson, published 26/5/2015

Of course a better idea would be not to have Twitter in the first place and stream a news site instead, then ignore the news site and watch a movie.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Great fun to read, and agree with Mark's theme.

Ursula Le Guin writes in a similar vein, but extends it to cover the "electronicisation" of writing vs the permanence of print, and responsibilities to the truth in fiction and non-fiction.
Well worth reading: The Wave in the Mind, chapter on Fact and/or/plus Fiction p127.
Posted by beb, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 1:06:37 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey you kids get off my lawn!

And you're not getting your frisbee back either!
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 1:42:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes the times they are a changing! Now ordinary citizens can compete with the so called elite opinion makers, and horror of horror, disagree with them and or their holy of holy, opinions?

Which I believe promotes the foregoing response by those who see their former power and influence slip sliding away?

For mine tweeting is for twits, and given the very brevity; dumbs down the debate or discussion, as does the me me narcissistic selfie?

And as undesirable as it is, even lunatics are entitled to a view and freedom to express a well mannered opinion?

It can be extremely disconcerting to hear voices coming out of thin air; and even more disconcerting, if you understand what they're saying!

And some of the conspiracy theories are even somewhat entertaining sometimes; albeit, they could find themselves in serious trouble or very hot hot water; or force fed lots of, (no, help help, not the gravy) if they accidentally get the call right?

The thing I like about most conspiracy theories, is the fact that someone is at the top and in complete control. And who knows exactly what they're doing, what outcomes are required, and exactly what needs to be done and by who to achieve them!?

Which is more than one can usually say about political activists and some of their madcap (tea party) ideas!? And if the cap fits?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 2:45:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mark Lawson here

Hi Bugsy - no I wouldn't give the kids their frisbee back. they might have fun with it. Thanks for the comments beb and Rhrosty.. time to go back to pen and paper, at least for those who want to clutter up twitter with their opinions..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 3:58:24 PM
In accordance with Murphy's Law, pens run out when it is least convenient. And ink runs if your paper gets wet. Best to stick with pencils.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 26 May 2015 6:06:39 PM
Mark Lawson here

Toni -good point, pun intended, stick with pencils..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 27 May 2015 10:49:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy