The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Pacific debate an opportunity for collaboration with China > Comments

Pacific debate an opportunity for collaboration with China : Comments

By Matt Thistlethwaite, published 21/4/2015

Australia needs to begin engaging with China and other Asian nations about collaboration and cooperation in the Pacific, particularly when it comes to aid expenditure and delivery.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Yes! Albeit Fiji's Leader's divisive rhetoric is just not helping!

Perhaps if all aid funding were withheld from that tiny nation; its virtual and very abrasive dictator, would find more moderate language and cooperation, more progressive/conducive to successful outcomes.

After all, its not all about him; albeit, one could be forgiven for thinking so.

Perhaps if Fiji were a viable replacement for our iron ore or coal or grain or dairy or protein, AUSTRALIAN AND NEW ZEALAND TOURIST dependent Fiji, might hold some sway with an increasingly import reliant China?

Chop into us with those machetes, the way they did to some of their own native Indian population, and see just how quickly that Tourist trade dries up!

And what of soon to be the other super power, India and its attitude toward Fijian born Indians and their current abysmal treatment?

Why wouldn't they want to expand their influence in the Pacific also; even just to counter Chinese influence?

And wouldn't Fiji with its purposely disadvantaged, dispossessed and disempowered ethnic Indian majority, be the ideal starting point?

Perhaps a bit of Gun boat diplomacy or joint naval exercises between the Anzacs and the Indians; that ACCIDENTALLY (a blip in the GPS) slipped into Fijian waters, would make Whiney "Bam" Whiner, sit up and take notice/reintroduce real democracy?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 21 April 2015 12:03:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
‘morning Matt,

As an MP I respect the fact that you achieved pre-selection by your party and that the electorate voted for you. That said, my comments are naturally targeted at your article rather than a reflection on your party or your electorate. My response relates to your ability to fulfill your responsibilities to your electorate as a critical thinker. I could be wrong and I’m sure there will be many who are able to correct my assertions, in which case I am willing to apologize.

What I get from the “messages” in your article are as follows:

That “Australia needs to begin engaging with China and other Asian nations”, begin?

That “Beijing's aid budget in the Pacific has grown dramatically in recent years having spent about US$1.4 billion since 2006. In November 2013, the Chinese Government announced a new assistance package for the Pacific Islands, potentially worth more than US$2 billion. The package is made up of two loan facilities for use in infrastructure development, of up to US$1 billion each”.

OK, that’s US4.4 bn?

That “There are many roads and bridges that are currently being or will need to be moved or rebuilt as sea level rise and extreme weather events become more destructive in the Pacific”?

Can I address the Chinese investments first.

That Australia should “begin engaging” is an astonishing admission of your absence from the real world. You point to $4.4 bn in Chinese aid to Pacific Islands and totally ignore the $430 bn that China has investested globally since 2005!

Since 2005 Chinese global investments have totaled $430 bn. Almost half these investments ($210 bn) have been in energy/power acquisitions, mergers and investments. West Asia $84.9 bn, East Asia $98.0 bn and Australia $59.2 bn.

During this period, China invested more in Australia than either the USA or North America.

So I call your $4.4bn and raise you $430bn.

Next we have Australia needs to “begin engaging”? Don’t you think you are about ten years too late with this assertion?

Cont’d
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 22 April 2015 2:10:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont’d.

I don’t know where you have been but that $430bn must have happened whilst you were somewhere else! Where might that have been?

Then we have this gem. That the “Labor in Government laid the foundation for this to occur when we signed the historic Australia-China Development Cooperation Memorandum of Understanding in April 2013”?

Let me get this straight Matt. So the Labour Government laid the foundation in 2013, for a process ten times the value of your “piddling” $4.4bn, that pre-dated the ALP government by seven years? The foundations your Party “laid” had already generated ten times the Chinese investment before the 2007 election? Mmmm? Forgive me for not quite getting that?

Then we have your “piece de resistance”, the coal generated disaster of “bridges that are currently being or will need to be moved or rebuilt as sea level rise and extreme weather events become more destructive in the Pacific”?

Ah Matt, if only you were capable of some minute degree of honesty rather than hypocrisy.

Included in these investments is the ‘orrible big coal” that the ALP has allowed to invest in Tasmania. Sorry to mention this as I know this must stimulate your “hypocrisy glands”.

The State owned Chinese coal giant Shenhua Group has revealed plans in 2014 to develop a small test wind farm in Tasmania. Shenhua already has a 75 per cent stake in Woolnorth Wind Farm Holdings, a joint venture with Hydro Tasmania which owns the Musselroe (168 MW), Studland Bay and Bluff Point wind farms (collectively known as Woolnorth and 75 MW and 65 MW respectively) in north east and north west Tasmania.

So big coal is causing sea level rises but it’s OK to accept investment from a Chinese State owned Coal giant to own an operate Tasmanian wind farms?

No Matt, you need to think things out a bit more. Even better, you need to save yourself mega embarrassment by connecting with the real world rather than the one you seek to create.

God help your electorate.
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 22 April 2015 2:12:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy