The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A question of conscience > Comments

A question of conscience : Comments

By Paul Russell, published 13/4/2015

Is this week's Victorian parliamentary debate on a euthanasia bill the result of a Labor Greens deal?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Let's all pray that the pass a euthanasia bill and allow people to choose how they die.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Monday, 13 April 2015 9:52:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Cobber,

"Allowing" people to choose how to die is as sinister as denying them this choice to begin with. Why should we be "thankful" for the state for robbing our freedom in the first place, then "in its great mercy" conditionally give us bits and pieces of it back?

The author wrote:

"Making lawful an effective change to the laws on homicide is clearly not a 'minor change'."

Indeed, but nobody had a right in the first place to deny the freedom of two others who agree without coercion that one is to kill the other (reason being irrelevant).
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 13 April 2015 10:26:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have to agree with the Author on any number of grounds, one of which is there's no mandate; it was not flagged before the election, which if it had been flagged, may have changed enough votes to change the very close election result!

And the other is the disturbing (slippery slope) changes in already lawful euthanasia, taking place in Canada and Belgium!?

People who want to top themselves already posses a number of completely painless ways, [drowning, carbon monoxide poisoning, eating a gun, jumping off a tall building, diving into the ground with the ultralight, full to the gills with bottled courage,] that don't place any responsibility onto another!

[Please murder me compardre! I want to go, but just don't have the guts to pull the trigger! Besides, if I can involve another, with an itchy trigger finger? I can absolve myself of the actual responsibility.]

Just two days ago came the TV news there's been a real breakthrough in the biological treatment of melanoma, even where it's spread and inoperable.

With one commentator remarking on a friends future prospects, having once been riddled with inoperable "terminal" cancer, to now two years later, with no evidence whatsoever, of any persisting cancer?

Yes he'll likely have to be monitored the rest of his days?

So what, when the quality of his life has been returned and new hope extended to countless others, which could be lost with a virtual stroke of a patently premature pen!

Better we should and can cure depression, than allow it to rob what could be our very best years! And already approved medicine, used for a new purpose, is showing that it is also very doable; and virtually overnight!

All too often when we erroneously believe we are past love, that we find our last love, which is invariably the greatest love of all!

Inasmuch as it allows us to also fall in love with life; its simple pleasures and joy; and when we finally have time for them; and each other!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 13 April 2015 11:59:47 AM
I have had enough of this will we, won't we, debate on voluntary euthanasia.

While polls have proven time and time again that the majority of people in Australia do want to legalise voluntary euthanasia, we have several of these holier than thou minority groups who feel the need to keep us all alive for as long as possible, no matter what pain is felt.

We should have a say in what we really want by adding one simple question on the next election ballot paper: "Would you support the legalization of voluntary euthanasia in Australia?" Yes or no......
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 14 April 2015 2:16:58 AM
I agree that people with serious illnesses or medical conditions should have the right to choose to end their own suffering.

But this is a drop in the ocean compared to whats coming.
The old tradition of letting people live till they die of old age will soon come to pass.
With debt slavery of nations, governments look to ways to cut costs.
90% of a persons health costs occur at the end of their lives.

The US has set up 'Death Panels' on the basis of saving costs.
Why even have health insurance if the people managing it decide its better that you die instead to save their company and the country money?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/nov/11/americannewscom/first-execution-under-obamacare-death-panels-pants/

Why don't we have the right to choose to end our own lives?
Because we are debt slaves and born for the purpose to pay back government debt.
Why shouldn't we have the choice, when they are debating choosing for us?

Our country relies mainly on government for health costs through Medicare.
If you think this issue wont find itself in the laps of Australians soon enough I'd be seriously surprised.

Most of you guys who think you are well informed are seriously asleep at the wheel and don't have a clue what goes on in the world past what mainstream media tells you.

Go to Infowars.com and learn.

It may take you a few years to wake up and break the conditioning but its the best thing you can do for yourselves if you want a grip on reality.
Its a journey though, you will learn things that will shock and anger you and then you need to get your feet back on the ground once you've woken up.

Best of luck Sheeple.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 16 April 2015 11:31:02 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy