The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > South Australia stalls as urban decay looms > Comments

South Australia stalls as urban decay looms : Comments

By Malcolm King, published 13/4/2015

The state has a burgeoning public service, contracting manufacturing sector, rapidly rising unemployment, serious youth brain drain, recruitment age prejudice and nepotism and spreading urban decay in Adelaide's northern suburbs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
SA could be wealthy if it chose to fully exploit the fact it has a third of the world's easily mined uranium. The trick is to value add not sell it cheaply for the lowest price. Options include uranium enrichment and power generation. Some say SA could take back and reprocess nuclear fuel from other countries but I suggest starting with local power needs first.

This path would initially employ thousands in construction and support services. While the Abbott government may not be serious about reducing emissions other countries like China are. There appears to be a growing aversion to new coal mines and coal seam gas in the eastern states. Power on a 24/7 basis has to come from somewhere. Therefore SA is on a long term winner if it goes nuclear.
Posted by Taswegian, Monday, 13 April 2015 9:05:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Come on Malcolm you know full well that the biggest issue facing SA is what time zone it's in. Geography tells us that it should be 1 full hour behind Sydney.
However our Government thought 30 hour was better, and our captains of industry have trouble even adding 30 minutes to our time to work out what time it is in Melbourne.

I see Nero at work here.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Monday, 13 April 2015 10:07:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quite right Cobber.

The Greenwich time thing is agenda item number one. Ha!

Unfortunately, about ten percent of the SA population is functionally illiterate, so time telling is important. My little story (and others I've written on SA) will disappear in the high tide of bytes and churn but sooner rather than later, the markets - especially the property and credit markets - will vote 'no confidence' in the state. No jobs = no future.
Posted by Malcolm 'Paddy' King, Monday, 13 April 2015 10:22:25 AM
Yes, South Australia should stop selling its soul for the welfare-money from other states.

The best thing South Australia can do for itself is to secede from the commonwealth of Australia. As a land that is no longer caught in the web of Australian laws and regulations, hundreds-of-thousands if not millions of good people who are sick and tired of the Australian regime will flock to it and make it prosper.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 13 April 2015 10:49:21 AM
I agree with Taswegian to a large extent.

Reading this article reminds me a bit of my present home state of Tasmania only we don't have Uranium or if we do, it's probably not commercially viable.

The 'rust bucket' states of SA & TAS didn't get that nickname for nothing... and today in 2015, sluggish economic growth, slow property markets are still the music of the day. Ho hum....

Anyway, at least we have writers who are great at diagnosing problems like on this website but where are the realistic long term solutions or at least medium term??... Oh wait, hang on, this doesn't fit into the 3-4 year electoral cycles does it... oh well.. hang our heads in shame and keep whinging.. then nothing changes.

Solutions people please! be brave and THINK!
Posted by Rojama, Monday, 13 April 2015 11:48:02 AM
Well what can you expect of people unable or unwilling to use the brains they were born with, for any other purpose than winning the nest election/retaining power!

And Canberra is hardly off the hook, when genuine tax reform and long overdue massive simplification would have mitigated against the massive industrial exodus now taking place there and elsewhere!

If they just used the brains they were born with, their industries, could be mostly resuscitated with cheaper than coal thorium, and the half price power it would produce for their energy dependent industries; and still possible, if the diving dollar is complimented by GENUINE tax reform and the world's cheapest energy!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 13 April 2015 12:41:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy