The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Unbalanced and distorted media coverage doesn’t help sensitive matters of free speech and international conflict > Comments

Unbalanced and distorted media coverage doesn’t help sensitive matters of free speech and international conflict : Comments

By Paul Duffill, published 16/3/2015

Whether one agrees that the University should restrict freedom of speech or not, or where along the spectrum people believe the correct balance lies, I think we can all agree that the result should be consistent and transparent.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I have known Jake for many many years (and I disagree with his views on Israel) The behavior he has been so causally accused of ( by what seems to some very careless amateur hour journalism) is so totally out of character as to be simply unbelievable.
Posted by pedestrian, Monday, 16 March 2015 9:08:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A part time lecturer at the Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies (where Jake Lynch is the director) criticizing the 'unbalanced and distorted' coverage of the situation...

Surely you are in no position to provide an unbiased account of the events that occurred? Or do you only recognize conflicts of interest when you are using them to torch the credibility of others?

Would you like to comment on the hypocrisy of people who are such fervent supporters of 'freedom of speech', but only when they wish to speak...who will turn around and silence others who disagree with them while they attempt to exercise the same freedoms?

I look forward to your response.
Posted by Matt22, Monday, 16 March 2015 10:08:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mat22
good point

And are we seriously expected to believe this:
"Eventually I had the idea of showing her the banknotes I was carrying in my pocket to emphasise the point I then made to her, that she would leave me with no choice but to take out a private prosecution for assault, and that this could cost her a lot of money"
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 16 March 2015 2:31:58 PM
Surely no one expects other than a deteriorating media coverage of things other than fashion & celebrity in our modern world.

With the slow death of the serious, & in fact any news paper, & the growth of TV news coverage, people should have noticed the dramatic change in what are called reporters/journalists.

Where once many adults, with great knowledge & experience, some minor level of writing skills, & the ability to not stutter in front of cameras held sway, just look at today's crop.

The requirements today are first children, with long straight hair, on a photogenic head, with an attractive slim FEMALE body, with the ability to wear make up effectively, & pose at the best angle for the camera.

The ability to look good wet is an advantage for cyclone/disaster reporting.

Next is a requirement to have avoided all subjects practical at school, with a knowledge of any science or math meaning total rejection.

They must then have spent 4 years in a citadel of indoctrination, where their left leaning attitude can be enhanced, while learning to talk inanely with no facts or knowledge on any subject.

Finally a really solid knowledge of what dress, & critically, shoes suit what stories, & they are a reporter.

Straight from school to authoritative twit in just 4 years.

Do people really pay attention to other than fashion reporting, by the girls club?
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 16 March 2015 4:04:55 PM
Continued.

I have noticed a recent huge improvement in weather girls. Not in Queensland of course, where their complete incompetence has seen them replaced with men, often actually meteorologists, who do know that north is at the top of weather maps.

No these are southern ladies, & some of them do seem to know that Perth is on the left of the map, & don't wave at it when describing Brisbane's forecast. Hell some of them do appear to really know what they are talking about, & are possibly meteorologists themselves.

I live in hope that this improvement can be transferred to those giving the news bulletin.

I'm not all that hopeful. When I recently watched a 7 news it's content appeared to have degenerated to that of those morning chat shows, many ladies watch. Perhaps some of those idiot lady reporters have been promoted to news directors.

Perhaps our TV stations have decided they can't compete with the net, & are abdicating any serious news programing, in favour of so called celebrity chat shows.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 16 March 2015 4:49:07 PM
So you don't get Jane Bunn, Livinia Nixon and Vanessa O'Hanlon up there?
God, I don't think I could live in Queensland.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Monday, 16 March 2015 7:31:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy