The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why MOOCs will fail – they're not dating sites > Comments

Why MOOCs will fail – they're not dating sites : Comments

By Jason Potts, published 11/2/2015

This matters because, as the Danish study shows, a large component of the return to higher education is due to better quality matches in household formation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Good point. Bricks-and-mortar universities as promoting life advantage through better sexual matches. Worthy of a thesis in evolutionary psychology: the sexual selection of academia, perhaps?

I remember one day my university ecology class were going on an excursion to the mountains for the weekend. Deftly side-stepping the dork/nerd/jerk who was making a beeline for the pretty girl sitting in the back seat, I sat next to her, and he sat next to the lecturer for the five-hour trip. Chat-chat-chat she and I went. Now she's been my wife for the last 28 years. Very ecological.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Wednesday, 11 February 2015 8:37:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fascinating approach and theories. Some doubts though:

- that finishing apprentiships (no High School finish?) in Australia leads to tradie professions that earn more than uni graduate careers.

- that Denmark is a very small - cllass structured - known each other since kindy world - that is dissimilar to Australia. Something about Lutheran Danish society? What are Danish marriage-divorce stats across the board?

- the high divorce rates of busy high earning graduates in Australia may alter the uni = marital-kickoff message.

- over reliance on statistics that then leave many explanations-possible interpretations.

- there may be as many correlations as causative relationships - both in attractiveness to employers and attractiveness to partners.

I'm somewhat bitter and cynical :)

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 11 February 2015 11:09:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Spoken like a true economist, who has never ever run a business or successful commercial operation!?

And as JKJ has so ably pointed out, you can get to know someone by just claiming the captive audience seat next to them!

And a clearly very determined JKJ, with his eyes on the prize, could have likely followed said nerd into a revolving door and come out first?

Scandinavians have a tradition of properly chaperoned trial marriages, where people are enabled to truly get to know one another! Sharing common expenses, household chores, and all the minutia of marriage.

One supposes, shared university accommodation might create similar opportunities, as does the workplace, back packing etc?

The days of traditional bricks and mortar institutes, one/two
hundred thousand dollar degrees are numbered; along with the toffee nosed snobbery/privilege that seems part and parcel of it!

The only constant in the entire universe is constant change!

"Businesses" that rely on increased margins invariably force their customer base to go to the opposition!

And where volume replaces margins, those businesses are the ones attracting the customers. Therefore MOOCs will succeed; and in spades!

Online learning is much much cheaper, and there is a place for campuses (dating sites) in the equation, for the few weeks needed for the practical hands on stuff!

And given that can be a continuous revolving door operation, allow much greater numbers to go in and out the door for considerably less!

And a single gender operations, (non dating sites) will increase the successful outcomes, free of the usual hormones/distractions! vot you vant, a degree or dirty diapers by ze dozen?

Better that the sexual conquests/exploits follow the degrees, thereby reducing the almost inevitable drop outs; and waste less money/talent or success story (rags to riches) dreams?
When our best and brightest succeed, SO DO WE ALL!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 11 February 2015 11:45:57 AM
Rhrosty

I found that the women in university accommodation were the Sexual Predators. Scary Aye?

Or is that a wet dream of my dotage mixed with http://youtu.be/Y1txEAywdiw . A thought-place where uni accommodation was the JUNGLE and me the innocent Arnie!!

Regards

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 11 February 2015 12:08:11 PM
Don't be so modest Pete/Prince Charming personified?

In the face of your taut trim and tanned body, ripped abs, devil may care attitude, virility, rep as a staying lover, generosity and chiseled Greek God looks/bank balance, coupled to a voice deeper than God's, women couldn't help themselves could they?

I have a brother that had a (she was all over him like a rash) similar experience, that came to a sudden shuddering halt, the fortnight after the ring of gold went on her finger.

Ah, predatory women, where are they now?

When I want one, in the night, all I have to do is dream.
I can make her mine, anytime day or night,
all I have to do is; dream, dream, dream, dream.
Only trouble is, gee whiz, I'm dreaming my life away!

And there's no (yes Master) Genie in the bottle!

Maybe I'll die in my sleep, deep in a desperately desirable dream! One hopes there'll be no problem screwing the coffin lid down?
Cheers, Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 11 February 2015 1:25:13 PM
Interesting article

Surely the key question is whether partner selection takes place at university. Among my cohort of friends and acquaintances at university almost everyone took a spouse/long-term partner who is also a graduate, but only one couple met at university. For the rest it is seem more that like attracts like, or perhaps that higher education is a threshold qualification when considering long-term partners (the short-term ones were another matter!).

If the latter, then a MOOC education will be no barrier to securing a suitable mate, as long as MOOCs’ qualifications have equivalent value and status.
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 11 February 2015 2:54:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy