The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia and the USA: two brash countries and their national days > Comments

Australia and the USA: two brash countries and their national days : Comments

By Peter West, published 29/1/2015

My American visitors sometimes comment that 'Australia seems a lot like America'. There are some superficial similarities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Yes they have the outdoor cook-up, we have the backyard B-B-Q, beer and the usual flies. And ours seem more determined and obnoxious than theirs; particularly the little peppery ones, ditto our bigger crocs (salties) and shrimps!

We both seem to love most sports, although the Yanks seem to be more competitive; and enjoy superior sports "medicine"?

That's where the similarities seem to end; they have their rights spelled out in a bill of rights, we don't!

They have a farm bill, and subsidized food production, we don't.

They have opened up the most promising oil provinces off of their coastline; we, but only in the most promising provinces, have forbidden it!

Yes I can see where you're coming from, there are similarities!

Or put another way, God bless America, and you Aussies can go visit the nearest taxidermist!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 29 January 2015 12:19:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In the end Oz is God's Zone Land even for an atheist like me.

And my first girlfriend was a Yank - me at the confused age of 13 - she at the horny age of 12.

Ah my youth of missed roots.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Sunday, 1 February 2015 2:35:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy