The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religion, terrorism and free speech > Comments

Religion, terrorism and free speech : Comments

By Laurence Maher, published 2/1/2015

It is more than passing odd that a prominent feature of the ensuing discussion and debate has been the unequivocal claim, especially voiced by the Fairfax/ABC media alliance, that the killer's actions had nothing to do with religious faith.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Neither the author nor the legislators have a clue about what religion is - nor would I expect them to understand because only the religious can understand religion.

Instead, if need be, the "terrorist act" could just drop the word "religious" because what they mean is already covered by "ideological". However, why should it matter WHY someone wishes to intimidate others? Would what they do become any better only because they do it to extort money or to have fun rather than due to some ideology? I think not!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Friday, 2 January 2015 12:48:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"because only the religious can understand religion."

I think I get your drift here. What a powerful idea.

Only the courageous can understand courage. Only the musical can understand music. Only the terrorist can understand terrorism. Only the faint of heart can understand faint-heartedness. Only the communist can understand communism. Only the pedophile can understand pedophilia. Only the rapist can understand rape. Only the …

Yuyutsu, I used to be religious but I'm not now. Does this mean I used to be able to understand religion but I can't now?

BTW, I thought this article was brilliant and brave.
Posted by GlenC, Friday, 2 January 2015 2:42:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting article although like with most lawyers it leads you with more questions. The question that most won't answer is the daily acts of terrorist, murder, lying, suicide done due to no religion or at least no moral basis. As a Barrister peope like L W Maher have made huge incomes from the taxpayer by defending blokes who rape/murder/molest children etc. Many would be still locked up if it was not for some sleazy lawyer finding loopholes in poor laws. Yep daily men drop faithful wives for another model, women murder unborn for convenience, 10 year old girls speak filth from the rot they listen to, teenagers kill themselves after 10 relationships and the list go on an on. All in the name of moral relativism so adults can enjoy their 'guilt' free little indulgences.

I know the usual ignorant claims that 'relgion is the cause of all wars' is just a smokescreen to stop any scientific self examination.
Posted by runner, Friday, 2 January 2015 3:04:04 PM
Whilst I enjoyed the article there was however some key issues which needed further development.

One of them is that the media must provide unbiased reporting of both sides of the issue.

Unfortunately, the quality of Australian journalism is so bad that I cannot recall ever seeing any discussion that really goes to the crux of why the fighters of Islam are at war with us. And make no mistake, they are at war with us whether openly declared or not.

Bare in mind that I have spent some time amongst the Muslims of Indonesia and that for the most part, they have been very kind to me and something of their grievances are known to me.

It is after all the West who seems to consider itself so superior that they will not speak to their enemies, who defile the bodies of the leaders of their enemies and have slaughtered the innocent and formerly moderate Muslims alike on a scale that is likely to well exceed a ratio of 10,000:1.

I would agree that eduction is part of the solution and a key component of that is broadcasting both sides of the story and not merely propagating tired old guvment clap trap.

For example, ISIS has been accused of sexual slavery, but is it not so that they are committing these war crimes against their enemies? And is that not better than those in the Australian military, who are allegedly rapists, who are accused of not raping their enemies, but of raping their own!?

Whilst I do not seek to legitimise the extreme acts of the likes of ISIS, I do suggest that those obsessed with hiding things usually do so out of guilt, and fear of public scrutiny due to the likelihood of political condemnation.

Like our very DNA, there is in my view far more that makes us all the same as Humans than those things which set us apart.
Posted by DreamOn, Friday, 2 January 2015 6:21:30 PM
The situation will always be messy whilst religion is given any credibility at all. Trying to appease those who are religious but not aggressive is skirting the issue. The common cry is that all Muslims are not terrorists but that does not mean that their religious attitudes do not cause damage to society. When they respond to reality with primitive behaviour such as praying, reading or quoting the Koran or visiting the mosque they are in effect dragging society back. Our society is based on reason because it is something that each one of us possesses. It is the common denominator which binds us as a human race. When people behave in ways that put them outside the dictates of human reason then they should be held accountable.

Attention should be drawn not to the religious ‘beliefs’ of someone like Mons but to his underlying behaviour which is at odds with the developing understanding of human nature. It is not the beliefs that should be questioned but whether or not religious behaviour is an appropriate response to human experience. Religious beliefs are simply a camouflage for primitive behaviour and we should never give them credence by engaging with them.

Anyone who comes forth as a Muslim and disassociates themselves with terrorists should be challenged as to why they associate themselves with Islam. We should not play their game by engaging with their ‘beliefs’ but put pressure on them to justify why they indulge in religious actions when they feel angry, afraid or sad. The media should not engage with their beliefs either but with their behaviour but many media outlets do not want to elevate questioning to that level.

To be fair all such religious behaviour needs to be scrutinised. In the wake of the siege how many politicians and commentators said that their prayers go out to the families of the victims? How quick were they to line up at the cathedral to respond to the event with religious behaviour. Primitive responses are alive and well in the west but much more so in the Middle East.
Posted by phanto, Friday, 2 January 2015 7:59:05 PM
Agree mostly with GlenC:

And can only add, any form of "MAN MADE" compelled unquestioning belief, is just that and could be, for all anyone can KNOW, as far from the literal truth as one can get?

An unexamined life is not worth living. Quote unquote.

That should apply even more so to unquestioning belief, but particularly when that unquestioning belief all but compels crimes against humanity. Not for nothing is it writ large, let your conscience be your guide!

Or put another way, make your decisions with your heart as well as your head! If it just doesn't feel right, it probably isn't!

And finally, free speech must retain the right to offend, given we've all likely alienated everybody else at one time or another; and usually by being less than economical with the literal truth/calling a spade a shovel?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Saturday, 3 January 2015 11:16:41 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy