The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The future of the Uniting Church > Comments

The future of the Uniting Church : Comments

By Keith Suter, published 31/12/2014

Does the Uniting Church have much of a future? Churches seem to be in decline in Australia and so why should the Uniting Church be spared?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Why indeed!?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 31 December 2014 10:47:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is a 'futurist' and a 'thought leader' ? Please, don't tell me he's just another aimless academic ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 31 December 2014 3:52:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"But if all the Uniting Church aged care, child care, schools and university colleges etc were brought together into one corporation and then quoted on the Australian Stock Exchange, it would be larger than 90 per cent of the companies listed."
Not so amazing when you consider that churches don't pay tax.
Presumably, without the state teat—or life support system—the Uniting Church would already have faded away.
Posted by Asclepius, Wednesday, 31 December 2014 4:00:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu,

Keith Suter is a thinker and not an aimless academic.

I first attended a series of his lectures way back in 1981, Keith doesn't push his ideas but leads people to think, outside and inside the square.
I have found him to be a person who will listen to the other side of an argument and, most importantly, consider it.

In contrast I once raised the theories of Thor Heyerdhal with an eminent Professor of Anthropology at Sydney Uni. I was summarily dismissed with "Bull$hit! All bull$hit!!"
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 31 December 2014 4:28:37 PM
Hi there IS MISE...

I stand corrected my friend. I must admit the word 'futurist' worried me somewhat, particularly as I'm very much a pragmatic person ? Still we live and learn ? That's what life's all about eh ?
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 31 December 2014 8:37:42 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I checked out the author's website, and he certainly seems to be a very intelligent guy.
I have to wonder then why he felt the need to complete a PhD on the future of the Uniting Church?
Surely there are more interesting and useful subjects to do a PhD on?
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 1 January 2015 1:22:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy