The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What sort of higher education system does Australia need? > Comments

What sort of higher education system does Australia need? : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 12/12/2014

My advice to Mr Pyne is find something else to do that is more productive, in terms of the public good, than meddling with universities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
What sort of higher education system does Australia need?
Definitely not the Christopher Pyne user pays model!
But perhaps the inherently fair Gough Whitlem model? And in vogue when Minister Pyne was learning law?
Pity a course in fair-minded think wasn't also mandatory for all intending law graduates! Even ones able to argue the leg off of a wooden chair; or that white is really black!
And only ever true in the complete absence of light!

Genuinely fair-minded thinking, would require a complete change in rationale/mindset, and finally ending all tax avoidance!
With all tax avoidance a thing of the past, there'll be more than adequate funds to achieve that purpose?

The only change that might be applicable, is a means test on it? I mean, let's make sure no inherently disadvantaged Australian is left behind, before we start making room for fee paying foreigners!

Rather than focus on pyned for privilege and profit, which seems to be the main focus of the ideologically driven, we should instead focus on excellence, and our best and brightest; plus our better ideas and best people! And much more R+D!

And essential in a world, where the inmates seem to have taken over the asylum?
And or, bound and determined to shoot themselves in their own economic feet?

Moreover, if we no longer needed to fund state parliaments, (kindy for pollies) we could unchain an additional 70 billions per, some of which would completely make up the current shortfall in higher ed funding; as well as much of the current infrastructure deficit!

And very doable without the loss of so much as a single service!
The only thing preventing just that very outcome, have to be self serving state pollies; and or, those who advise them!?

State governments are almost as essential as boiling water in a chocolate teapot!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 12 December 2014 10:25:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yeah, give em hell Don.
Posted by Sells, Friday, 12 December 2014 11:14:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What you say about state governments does not make sense.
Are you saying rip 70 billion away from states. Surely the govt; can't be costing 70 billion.
Posted by 579, Friday, 12 December 2014 11:44:58 AM
For once I can't agree with you Don. I think the university sector needs not just hands on, but a damn good shaking.

For far too long university executives have been in empire building mode, & they are totally overblown. A sign of this was grasping nurse education. We now have a staff shortage once filled by trainee nurses, & a bunch of over opinionated nurses who think many nurse jobs are beneath them. Many are incompetent at the required task, when on a ward.

We also have far too many soft degrees designed simply as a qualification for bureaucracy admission. Add the host of courses producing social workers of some description from psychiatrists to councillors, who require additional welfare cases to fill their case book, & I think a great deal of change is required. We could do without the extra social workers, & the welfare cases they promote & precipitate.

There is far too much lack of effort at many levels. A friends son left a science course after 8 months, after trying to contact a math tutor for 6 weeks. Evidently returning calls is too much to ask of some staff. Slack tutors cost this kid his education, but you can bet we are still paying them. The student decided it was not worth racking up more hex debt, when he was not getting what he was paying for. A shake up is long over due.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 12 December 2014 12:34:50 PM
Only ignorant people like the actress speaking at Goughs funeral really believe education is free. She obviously does not know that lecturers, administrators, cleaners etc get paid. They are not volunteers.
Posted by runner, Friday, 12 December 2014 12:54:30 PM
Gee Hasbeen, I didn't know you were so knowledgable about Universities and modern day nurse's training?
You do surprise me!

More likely you have been listening to dear old retired nurses who, while no doubt good in their day, are somewhat like you. They like living in the past too....

I am assuming then that you never avail yourself of the services of university trained health professionals such as Doctors, physio's, dentist's and podiatrists?

Be thankful for University educations that give us one of the best health care systems in the world.

As higher education gets more and more expensive, I can see some very good minds being left behind because they can't afford to go to university.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 13 December 2014 1:37:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy