The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > When ought we disclose mental illness? > Comments

When ought we disclose mental illness? : Comments

By James Page, published 22/8/2014

One may well argue that the key element in any discussion needs to be compassion, although what this means in practice is not always clear.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
...It is difficult to nail from the article, which point from the broad "many" , qualify for an answer!

...When the definition of mental illness is vexed as it is, such that the term mental illness encompasses such a vast field, what category of mental illness will qualify for attention?
What category of mental illness will be acceptable in some environments as opposed to others? And does the author allude in the article, not to mental illness, but to personality disorders such as psycopathy?

...Mixed into the confusion are the vast army of malingers who masquerade under the banner of mental illness, in a quest for a life free of responsibility; what of them?
And, should we not be too careful here not to create an intersection in society where political dissent could be redirected to correctional institutions for reconfiguring, under simple changes to the mental illness act?

...And, should mental illness be narrowed as a diagnosis, to cases which are identifiable only by pathology. This would illiminate a vast majority of suspect diagnosis of mental illness!

...the minefield that mental illness diagnosis has become, collides with the smooth running of a business, only as a behaviourable issue, maybe that should remain the norm!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 22 August 2014 3:34:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whats a mental illness act? Always you speak so much rubbish when ever you talk diver dan? I don't speak English very good either. But your English and spelling no good at all. Because you always print one line stuff, and why most think you are very stupid.
Posted by misanthrope, Friday, 22 August 2014 3:50:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Diver, I challenge you to name just one person, you know for sure and certain, is feigning mental illness, in order to just stay on work start or a DP? [Name, rank and serial number.]
Neither of which enables one to live high on the hog, or even adequately manage!
And given we all of us, tend to judge all others by our own standards!
Your less than gracious or gallant comments, tell us plenty about you!
I mean, a Sydney bed/sit,now costs more than a single pension, and even where one can get affordable housing, life such as it is, is very frugal!
Rather than the life of Reilly, as seriously misrepresented by you!

Extremely prejudiced and extraordinarily ignorant people, just like you, are the reason few if any should disclosed their problems, let alone share them with barking mad bar stewards!
Most mental illnesses are just a result of some missing brain chemical and when properly treated, with the right medication, which replaces the missing chemistry, ends the so called problem?
And given many of these people, i.e., like a tormented Robin Williams, who recently took his own life, are extremely gifted in many other areas; need to be assisted, to return to reasonable "managed" normality!
An Uncle, who had been on the front in Tobruk, for several completely exhausting months, was finally sent back for some R+R.
When they arrived, they were confronted by a pompous little git of a British officer, who's life mission, was to drill Anzacs, until they became like the automatons, the unquestioning British Tommy, was at that time?
My Uncle turned to the officer, when ordered to drill on and on under a hot M.E sun, and said, Someone should take you out the back and hiss on you. At least that way, you'd smell like a man!
Were my Uncle alive today, he'd very likely give you similar advice, and rightly so?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 22 August 2014 4:38:58 PM
I'm afraid I see none of the points that the author describes as "obvious" as obvious all - quite the contrary!

What of an employer's obligation to maintain the privacy of information that they may hold about an employee? No mention!
What of our shared legal obligation not to discriminate against anyone on the basis of their disability? No mention!

The article seems merely to perpetuate the mythical stereotype of a mentally ill "them" and mentally healthy "us".

The reality is that 1 in 5 Australians experience a mental illness each year, nearly 50% over the course of a lifetime. That mental illness will vary from the profound to the imperceptible.

The correct answer to the question contained in this article's title "When ought we disclose mental illness?" is in fact obvious.

1. When we have the person's express permission to do so.

2. When someone is so extremely ill that we need to make a strictly limited disclosure in order to ensure they receive the assistance that they need.
Posted by Frank Quinlan, Friday, 22 August 2014 4:45:14 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhosty:

Malingering

...#Malingering can take many forms. However, as specifically related to mental illness, the tendency is to fake more common disorders such as major depressive disorder , post-traumatic stress disorder , and panic disorder with agoraphobia . With very little coaching or research, even a beginner can simulate symptoms of these disorders.#

Read more: http://www.minddisorders.com/Kau-Nu/Malingering.html#ixzz3B78XJByE

...And I am surrounded by malingerers able and willing to smoke,drink, go fishing, ride a bike,chop the wood, bash the little woman et-al ...all except activities related to regular effort directed towards the responsibility of working for a living! Feigning the life of the feeble minded as a life-style, is disingenuous!

Misanthropy:
...My sympathies to you as you journey through life in profound unhappiness! Me, I am perfectly happy!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 22 August 2014 8:29:44 PM
Diver, just as I thought, more allegations, and not so much as a single shred of evidence, credible or otherwise!
But just more of the same, very obviously judged/drawn from seriously flawed personal standards!
As always, around 2% of people, just wouldn't work in an iron lung!
And that just doesn't mean they're or aren't feigning anything!
I mean seriously, where do you get off and what do actually you know about mental illness or medicine?
Apart from the patently obvious fact that you're both incredibly ignorant and extremely prejudiced, do you have any actual qualifications?
Or like your peers, the judgmental know-it-alls, did you even finish High School?
The very worst injuries or illnesses, are those the layman just can't see!
And then we wonder why there is so much harmful social stigma!
There are just two kinds of people commenting here, those who are part of the solution and those who are part of the problem!
And based on your comments, you fit the latter category!?
As for my personal state?
You just don't know me, or whether I'm happy or not!
Then only reason the Nazi scum, were able to mass murder 6 million non combatant men women and children; is they lacked NORMAL human empathy!
And judged by your very own words, neither do you!?
Without bias, Rhrosty
Posted by Rhrosty, Saturday, 23 August 2014 4:35:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy