The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Democracy and diversity: media ownership in Australia > Comments

Democracy and diversity: media ownership in Australia : Comments

By David Vadori, published 11/6/2014

To protect democracy, governments have an obligation to detect and remove political bias within the media. It is essential that the media act as a safe-haven for political neutrality.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Extremely well argued David!
Democracy is safe, if it can be left in hands such as yours!
A++!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 10:26:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes clearly a man should be selected with no political views, like Sir Peter Cosgrove, to monitor all media articles, sack all offending journalists and draft them into the Army.

Rupert Murdoch digging trenches I say!
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 11:24:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The argument mounted in this article lost me in the second paragraph. The methodology used to frame the argument is based on the market acceptance of Murdoch's papers in Australia. That Murdoch's papers are read by 59% of the punters is a sad reflection on the left-wing media such as Fairfax and the ABC, and is no way an example of media concentration due to some perceived unfair process within our society.

People like me are prepared to pay Murdoch so that we may read the views of Andrew Bolt, Terry McCrann, Piers Akermann and Janet Albrechtsen. I feel cheated when I have to pay to NOT read the drivel of Laurie Oakes and Fairfax failures such as Shaun Carney i get served up to me in he "Herald-Sun". This morning I really enjoyed Jeff Kennett's article on the Vic State Gov't dilemma with Jeff Shaw. Kennett argued logically and coherently whereas we only hear lies from the left-wing press.

Geoffrey Kelley
Posted by geoffreykelley, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 11:44:50 AM
Yes Pete, and may it be your hands holding the loaded rifle, with bayonet fixed, that forces said gentleman to comply.
I'm not 100% convinced that would work however, given the place where you might point said rifle, is a huge repository, filled with many, stick it up your repository Mac, historical treasures?
And where a rife and indeed perhaps its carrier, could be lost for years, decades even, in those corridors of power, in what must be something like doctor who's Tardis?
You'll Have a nice day now, y'hear.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 11:45:08 AM
@Rhrosty.

I understand you have plenty of room cobb to insert said rifle sideways :)

@Geoffrey

Unaware that the Fairfax media were leftwing rather than outstandingly accurate and centrist. Should they join Dirty Digger Murdoch under the bed?

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 4:24:32 PM
The government had better hurry up and regulate ownership of newspapers soon, while there are still any newspapers remaining to regulate. Perhaps when the last newspaper disappears, the Communications Department will give back some of the taxes they have spent on pursuing this chimera. What are the odds?
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 11 June 2014 4:36:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy