The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Making older men and women healthier > Comments

Making older men and women healthier : Comments

By Peter West, published 4/6/2014

The media mislead us into imagining we are all young, attractive and fascinated by matters related to food.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Older people need belonging, meaning, sexual intimacy, fun? Man, have you got it wrong.

According to the Abbott government - and the ALP government before that - what older people need is to keep putting up the retirement/pension age.

Apparently, there's nothing that makes a 65-year-old happier than having to keep on working until they're 70 and, no doubt, once the pension age is raised a few more times, 75 or even 80
Posted by Killarney, Wednesday, 4 June 2014 5:41:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A good article.
The author has made many good suggestions re aging, and I agree that we all need to try and keep happy and healthy if we want to enjoy our retirement ( whatever age that will be!).
The physio's tell us we need to use it or lose it.

Our residential care facilities need to move with the times and start catering for ALL the resident's needs, and not just food and sleep. They need to be as happy as possible, as well as having their physical needs met.

A lovely new Aged care home has just been built near us.
It has a movie theatre, coffee shop (for anyone to use from in and outside the facility), heated pool, large internet and book library, it's own bus for outings, big single rooms with ensuite and sitting area, and a well stocked shop.
All it needs now are some of those vibrating beds...
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 5 June 2014 1:49:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hmm.
It raises the question.
Are men and women essentially the same? Or mainly different?

Do we get more similar as we sit in the nursing home gibbering, with a shawl over our knees,
"Sans eyes, sans hair, sans everything"?
Posted by Bronte, Thursday, 5 June 2014 8:30:33 AM
This is the most troubling aspect of the article for me...

"What policies should governments adopt in regard to aging?"

The assumption being that it is the government's business to legislate specifically for the aging, as opposed to legislating for all Australians.

On what possible logical, ethical or economic grounds would we require them to do this?
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 5 June 2014 9:40:57 AM
Bronte, nothing changes with the different genders once they get to Nursing Homes, believe me!
Having worked as a nurse in Aged care homes for several years recently, I can tell you that the men are still very interested in the young (and the not so young!) female carers, and the women still enjoy a good gossip, as well as showing interest in any males around!
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 5 June 2014 10:46:49 AM
Hello, Pericles!
I paid taxes every day I worked - part time while at school and uni and full-time for some 50 years
- I still pay tax when I work casual, now

- I pay GST on tons of stuff (and will pay more and on fresh food if the boffins have their way)

- I was conscripted to fight in Vietnam but luckily failed the medical

- we are all subsidising the privateers e.g. who bought Sydney Airport for a song and the guys who have expensive corporate lunches but work for some semi government owned quango

Why wouldn't I expect this dumb government to give me something back for everything I have contributed? We can afford millions to put troops in Afghanistan, we fought in two pointless Iraq wars, we pay money to Indonesia - God knows why.

Why wouldn't I expect the government to do something useful for older people!
Posted by Bronte, Thursday, 5 June 2014 11:12:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy