The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Shaw about that? > Comments

Shaw about that? : Comments

By Debbie Garratt, published 9/5/2014

Victorian Liberal MP Geoff Shaw raises some interesting issues with regard to abortion, engendering the usual hysterical outbursts from radicals only concerned about the availability of abortion.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Debbie Garratt is Executive Director of "Real Choices Australia". Checking out their website reveals they are basically a front for the anti-abortion lobby. Follow the money ...

For the record, I have had two abortions. I do not regret them and I do not suffer from psychological harm as the website suggests. I suspect a majority of women who have had abortions agree with me; they just don't speak up because of the hysterical outpourings of those who feel obliged to impose their religious views on others.

On the contrary, having safe and legal abortion available was extremely comforting. The counselling provided before I made my decision was very professional and caring.

Safe, legal abortion should be widely available. Women who choose to have abortions should not be made to feel like pariahs.
Posted by anaminx, Friday, 9 May 2014 9:18:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Debbie Garratt "we know that abortion advocates have truly lost the plot."

We've known that as soon as they told us the destruction of a living human didn't need to be justified.
Any time, any stage, no reason required.
Posted by Shockadelic, Friday, 9 May 2014 11:29:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shocadelic,
So, you'd rather see people live in misery than aborting a handful of cells ?
Why aren't anti abortionists putting their money where there mouths are, helping, caring & paying for people which their parents didn't want to bring into this world due to a quirk of fate ? If nature can be so cruel as to not give people a natural choice then people should not judge those who want to prevent miserable lives.
We're not all born equal, some have wealthy parents, some have poor parents & some aren't born perfect, some are intelligent & some aren't. I say let the mother make a decision if you don't want to be there for her when she requires support.
Posted by individual, Friday, 9 May 2014 12:38:37 PM
@anaminx. We are not involved in any way with any anti-abortion lobby. We do however provide education and information on the adverse impact of abortion, which is significant, for a significant number of women. It is abortion related ideology that perceives this as anti-abortion, rather than appropriately educational and informative. I am glad that your experience has not been negative.

@individual. There is no evidence that the mothers of abused or negative children considered abortion any more frequently than those who are more positive parents. Many people who dislike abortion do provide valuable services to women and families. Interestingly though, when they do, they are often accused of ulterior motives. Can't win it seems
Posted by Debbie Garratt, Friday, 9 May 2014 5:08:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Debbie Garrett, do you not think there is already a plethora of information in books, online and from medical personnel about the fors and against re abortion?

Surely most couples these days already have all the info they need to decide whether they want an abortion or not? If they don't, then they would surely know where to find it.

At the end of the day, it is up to the parents and their doctors whether they have an abortion or not, and no one else's business unless they ask for help?

Abortion is legal and readily available in Australia, as it should be.
We should be concentrating on efforts to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place, with free contraception perhaps.
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 10 May 2014 2:07:52 AM
Debbie Garratt “We are not involved in any way with any anti-abortion lobby.”

You expect anyone to believe that Debbie? Real Choices is an anti-abortion lobby group. One only needs to read the blog articles by Debbie Garratt on the website to see that. Or indeed their activities in the wider media, such as this media release http://lifenetwork.org.au/_blog/The_Case_Against_Abortion/post/Real_Choices_Australia_responds_to_'A_call_for_free_abortions'_/ or this one http://lifenetworkaustralia.designexperts.com.au/_blog/The_Case_Against_Abortion/post/Dancing_in_the_streets_to_celebrate_abortion_-_Real_Choices_Australia_Media_Release/

If Real Choices were not a lobby group, they would have no reason to place such materials in the media.

Debbie, it is my position that women should be able to have a safe and legal termination of pregnancy if they choose to do so. What is your position?
Posted by Agronomist, Saturday, 10 May 2014 10:40:28 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy