The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Knights and mates and republicanism-by-stealth > Comments

Knights and mates and republicanism-by-stealth : Comments

By Jeremy Sammut, published 31/3/2014

Republicanism-by-stealth has included removing the Queen’s picture from public buildings, replacing the title Queen’s Counsel with Senior Counsel, and eliminating references to the sovereign from the oath of office sworn by government ministers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
And isn't it laughable that one of the first recipients was a left leaning republican.
Posted by Sparkyq, Monday, 31 March 2014 8:56:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
' According to republican thinking, we need a republic because borrowed British traditions and institutions must be eradicated so that a distinctive national culture can flourish.' Which 'republican thinking' is that? I don't remember the wholesale abolition of our system of government being part of the republican debate,I think all that was proposed was a bit of tweaking at the top.

Its never a good idea to presume to speak on behalf of groups you do not represent, whether it is Jeremy getting the republicans wrong, as here, or the swag of beliefs erroneously attributed to atheists by believer every time religion crops up on OLO. Speak for yourself Jeremy, argue your case, just don't tell others what they think.
Posted by Candide, Monday, 31 March 2014 9:32:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If firmly monarchist John Howard thinks it is a mistake, you had better listen.

Some accused him of wanting to take Australia back in time, but even he doesn't want to go that far back!
Posted by Bugsy, Monday, 31 March 2014 9:45:17 AM
Lets face it, some people like bowing and scraping to another person, which is the Monarchy system, this is what we Republicans do not like, we are all equal, we all have the same dick & fanny, perhaps some are more gold and diamond lined than others, the Sir & Lady bit creates the I am great attitude, their would be people like Alexander Downer breaking their neck to be amongst this gentry, having been to a Government house do some years ago, the only person who curtsied and carried on to the Governor was Lady Downer, the Downers love all this pomp and ceremony. I have nothing against the old Queen, but I doubt very much if she could ever become normal, no gloves to shake a peasants hand, wouldn't know how to open a car door,she also believes she is some super being, these are many of the things I hate about the Royalty system, lets also face it, if Pesident Obama and the Queen were in the same room,I know which would be the easier to talk to, not the one who has to talk to you first before you open your mouth. Australia must become a Republic and stand on its own two feet in all ways, nominated Governor General selected by the people of Australia, no titles such as Sir & Lady, our own Government and no allegiance to the old Queen and mother England, could all Royalists please return to your beloved England and bow and scrape to your hearts content. Abbott is a Royalist .
Posted by Ojnab, Monday, 31 March 2014 10:12:49 AM
Even Amanda Vanstone has come out against the reintroduction of titles. No one minds achievement being recognised, but many people , republican and otherwise, do object to the awarding a titles which make a minority sound as though they are more important than the rest of us. The Order of Australia has already been gamed by certain sectors of the medical profession, which is overrepresented in the Order. How much worse it might be once there is the possibility of a title. In the UK it has always been possible to 'acquire' a life Peerage through massive political donations and fundraising. Is that what we want here? Sir Eddie Obeid anyone? Joh Bjelke Petersen would have knighted him in a trice.
Posted by Candide, Monday, 31 March 2014 10:37:52 AM
I don't understand the premise of this article at all. I know Australia has the Queen of England as its Head of State, but seriously why would a country want a citizen of another country to be its Head of State?

If some anachronistic colonial titles are done away with, what is the harm in that?
Posted by Agronomist, Monday, 31 March 2014 10:46:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy